ControlLogix Add ons

bguinn

I have been using RS5000 for sometime now, since ver 11.

Ver 16, now has the neat "add on" function. I have just started playing with this, and was wondering if there are more benefits to using these other than making my program look much cleaner.

Would using one of these help on scantime or memory usage.

validated reusable code.

In a validated environment, you can validate the AOI once, and use it many times without revalidation.

Also-
Speed. AOI's execute much faster, than do parameterized JSR's.

Troubleshooting - AOI's can be viewed online with thier actual per-instance data, which you can't do with a JSR.

Encapsulation - AOI's can use safe, hidden, local members for calculations and temporary status, as opposed to having to define lots of program or (/shudder) Global scoped temporary tags.

Just to name a few

Take a look at:

Logix5000 Controllers Add-On Instructions Programming Manual. (Publication 1756-PM010A-EN-P - July 2007)

Also be careful of:
New ControlLogix v16 'Date and Time', 'Time Zone' and 'Adjust for Daylight Savings' settings. (View Answer)
and..
1756-L55 and 1794-L34 Controllers at certain V16 revisions will non-recoverable major fault and lose memory. (View Answer)

I'm sure there is other stuff to be careful of, but the point is to do your homework and determine what issues lie out there for your particular configuration.

Last edited: