B&R CP476 upload

hi all
am hoping for some assistance, i have been asked to upload the program from a B&R CP476
i have successfully hooked up the laptop via serial cable and using Automation Studio retreived a hardware profile
however, there doesn't appear to be any program uploaded
i am flying somewhat blind, as all i have access to is the help files in automation studio - no manuals to be found anywhwere
any help would be most appreciated

regards
dave fitzgerald

hi all
am hoping for some assistance, i have been asked to upload the program from a B&R CP476
i have successfully hooked up the laptop via serial cable and using Automation Studio retreived a hardware profile
i am flying somewhat blind, as all i have access to is the help files in automation studio - no manuals to be found anywhwere

regards
dave fitzgerald
I believe they just download the compiled code to the controller.
Without the source code, uploading won't work for you.
I may be wrong though, so, any other members of this forum feel free to jump in and correct me.

unfortunately I have to agree with bkottaras, it is the compiled program in the cpu. we have a few of these beasts on site and the OEM will not supply the source files, so you can guess where it leaves us with them

rebuild info could be on the system...

thanks guys

it seems there is only compiled code ...

Hello!

Following info may help if the original program was developed with PG2000.

In earlier days, programming with PG2000 - there was the possibility to download the source code to the PLC.

The switch was "Download Rebuild Info yes/no". I think with the Automation Studio this does not exist any more.

Once you upload the programs you can check with e.g. notebook to see if there is any readable lines inside.

But - for what you want to upload the program ? do you need to make changes ?

greetings
bb

thanks for your input bb

i am not sure what software the original program was developed on

the original equipment manufacturers fabricated the system 8 or 9 years ago and made an extension to the plant about 7 years ago

my assigned task
i can to add some extra code
to make use of one of the spare outputs
and run 10 meters of cabling

the code would look at 3 outputs from 3 seperate controllers all connected via a can network

or i can bypass the software step and run 200 meters of cable from various points of the plant to achieve the desired result

cheers
dave fitzgerald

Hi Dave,
this is a really hard one. Maybe its more easy to install the wires :)

I guess this was developed with PG.2000 as this was like 8/9 years ago.

I would run now the following tasks to see if you will be able to change the code.

- upload any task from the PLC (maybe the task that is doing the CAN network, including a configuration table in case it exists and you can identify)

- check if you can find any readable lines inside,

- if no, I guess you can forget

- if yes:
- organize PG.2000 software
- create an empty project
- update project with the online PLC --> transfers everything to the empty project on your laptop
- with the rebuild info in it, you should be able to change the code.

--> do all necessary changes.

--
I think this is a complex topic and I personally never had to use the rebuild info. Maybe it is a good idea to write down a small summary and email it to B&R support. They will know, I guess....

--

br
bb

Hello:
I had a similar experience with cp260, I put online trough Automation Studio, but en Monitor Mode I could not see any modules in the controller. Then, from B&R support told me that this controller had been programmed with PG 2000. The advantage of PG2000 is that you can obtain de source code and make changes

Hello:
I had a similar experience with cp260, I put online trough Automation Studio, but en Monitor Mode I could not see any modules in the controller. Then, from B&R support told me that this controller had been programmed with PG 2000. The advantage of PG2000 is that you can obtain de source code and make changes
Yes, if "Download Rebuild Info is ON, otherwise not).
But I never was listening that in AS these modules are not shown? Did B&R explain why ? Normally you can see all modules that are installed, even with AS.

Alternatively it is possible to read a module list and also a module with PVITransfer (available from the b&r homepage, included in the PVI Package)

Also, PLTrend (see signature) can show a list of modules installed on the PLC and by marking the desired ones you can upload them....

br
bb

Well, I sent to the B&R the images obtained with AS 3.0 and they could see the Automation Runtime Version, in this case 2.0 (too old), and they told me that for this reason I could not see anything with AS 3.0. Then, I put online trough PG2000 and I could see the list of BR modules, I made the upload procedure, it delayed a lot of time (about 2 or 3 hours) but finally I could obtain all of modules and with decompilation option I could see the source code.

Alex

thanks everyone so much for all of your help so far

it is most appreciated

i have been dragged off to another project for a while

but am about to restart things again

i have downloaded pg2000 and pltrend and pvitransfer

so i will see how things go

once again - many thanks

hi all

regards
dave fitzgerald

Hi Dave

I know it's been a while , can you please detail how did you manage to connect to this CPU , I am trying to get it online and it doesn't seem to work neighther with Automation Studio or PG2000 , I am using a serial cable (like the one ive found in the Help description ) everything sems to be ok ,the serial LED on the CPU is blinking every 5 sec, whatching the comunication with a serial port sniffer I've saw that the software is sending some data but the CPU is not responding.
There is a program in the CPU that I don't care if I lose it.
I just whant to make shure there is no special seting or something I might have mised reading the Help.

Thank You !

Hi Dave

I know it's been a while , can you please detail how did you manage to connect to this CPU , I am trying to get it online and it doesn't seem to work neighther with Automation Studio or PG2000 , I am using a serial cable (like the one ive found in the Help description ) everything sems to be ok ,the serial LED on the CPU is blinking every 5 sec, whatching the comunication with a serial port sniffer I've saw that the software is sending some data but the CPU is not responding.
There is a program in the CPU that I don't care if I lose it.
I just whant to make shure there is no special seting or something I might have mised reading the Help.

Thank You !

Hello,
in case the program installed is using the com-port, you can not connect with the programming system.

You can switch the CAN-ID Switches to 0xF 0xF and power on --> the programs installed will not execute, than you definitely can connect.

If you are not sure about the parameters just try this ones
57600, 8, 1, 1
57600, 8, 2, 1
57600, 8, 0, 1 (swichting parity, N, P, E), 1 Stopbit, 8 Databit

One of these will work!!

If you want, clear USER ROM in this mode, than the blocking of the com-port is gone as well as the program itself (n)

CAN-ID Switch to 0 / 0 and power up brings the Operating-System Loader mode up. You can download a newer version of the operating system.

Good Luck
br
bb

Cheers

Hello,
in case the program installed is using the com-port, you can not connect with the programming system.

You can switch the CAN-ID Switches to 0xF 0xF and power on --> the programs installed will not execute, than you definitely can connect.

If you are not sure about the parameters just try this ones
57600, 8, 1, 1
57600, 8, 2, 1
57600, 8, 0, 1 (swichting parity, N, P, E), 1 Stopbit, 8 Databit

One of these will work!!

If you want, clear USER ROM in this mode, than the blocking of the com-port is gone as well as the program itself (n)

CAN-ID Switch to 0 / 0 and power up brings the Operating-System Loader mode up. You can download a newer version of the operating system.

Good Luck
br
bb
Thank you for te quick reply
I ve finaly done it :p, in Automation Studio in the settings of comunication port/type column by default it was RS232-USB wich i had to change to RS232 and is working.....and with PG2000 i just didnt know how to do the settings for com port .
Now its working on both softwares (y)
Thank you :geek:
:site: