Siemens Ethernet Lean card vs. Ethernet Adaptor

uptown47

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,

I'm looking at upgrading some of our PLCs on to ethernet so that the lads can then access them wirelessly.

We have a few of the NetLink Pro adaptors (http://www.helmholz.de/prod.d,80_92_93.html?p_id=142)

These work fine but I was thinking of going down the route of putting in Ethernet Lean cards (CP 343-1 LEAN 6GK7-343-1CX10-0XE0).

Some of our PLCs have HMIs connected to both the MPI and Profibus ports and I wondered if it possible to program the HMI's on both of these ports via the Ethernet Lean card ?

The NetLink Pro adaptor just plugs into either the MPI or the Profibus port and therefore would only allow a user to program the HMI in that port.

Also the Netlink Pro, despite being ethernet, is obviously slowed down to the speed of the network its connecting to.

So, I'm thinking (if I'm right) that I could put in Ethernet Lean cards, get access to both the MPI and Profi ports AND have full ethernet speeds...

Is this correct?

Many thanks for any info you can give me

Cheers

;-)

The LEAN cards support S7 routing, which is good.
The only other blocking point might be the HMI used.

This link has some nice info on your question

So, I'm thinking (if I'm right) that I could put in Ethernet Lean cards, get access to both the MPI and Profi ports AND have full ethernet speeds...
The CP343-1 LEAN will allow you to connect to any other partner via the connected CPU and its further connected networks.
All the devices in question must be integrated into one STEP7 project, this for the routing to function.
Be aware that you will not get "full ethernet speed" this way. The CP343-1 LEAN connects via the slow MPI backplane at 187.5 kbps.

So, to clarify:

You do not have to enable something in any configuration in order to get the routing?
The only thing you need to do is to make sure that the devices are in the same Step7 project?

Andreas

So, to clarify:

You do not have to enable something in any configuration in order to get the routing?
The only thing you need to do is to make sure that the devices are in the same Step7 project?

Andreas
Yes. Your PG/PC also has to be part of this STEP7 project (as a PG/PC or as a PC Station).
The HW Config has to be downloaded from NetPro to all CPUs. This to update the routing tables.