Most confusing RIO addressing assignment for SLC (AB)!

ckchew666

Dear sir/madam,

One of my projects is designed running at RIO using SLC 500. In my remote chassi (1746-A10):

slot 0 = 1747-ASB
slot 1 = 1746-NI16V (word 0 & 1) Block transfer
slot 2 = 1746-OB32 (word 2 & 3) O:e.2/0 to O:e.3/15
slot 3 = 1746-IB32 (word 4 & 5) I:e.4/0 to I:e.5/15
slot 4 = 1746-IB16 (word 6 & 7) I:e.6/0 to I:e.6/15
slot 5 = 1746-NI16I (word 0 & 1) Block Transfer
slot 6 = 1746-IB32 (word 2 & 3) I:e.10/0 to I:e.11/15
slot 7 = 1746-IB32 (word 4 & 5) I:e.12/0 to I:e.13/15

Note: - slot 5 using logical rack 1
- e indicate slot number for 1747-SN

1) What would be the best slot type for this design?

2) I was thinking 1/2 slot addressing is the only way, am i right?

3) If I'm using 1 slot addressing, slot 1 using 1746-NI16V slot 2 using 1746-OB32, is there any conflict?

Thanks.

Regards,
CK Chew

Hi CK,

Unless I missed something along the way, if you are trying to run all those analog channels plus the misc DC modules on a single Scan & ASB on your RIO , I count 39 words for the input image alone. If I am not mistaken the Scan logical image is limited to 32 input words and or 32 output words. How they are used depends on the use of complimentary addressing schemes or not ( 4 Logical Racks with 8 Logical Groups each). The NI16V class 3 module may image 32 inputs words and 32 output words all by itself. You may want to think about multiple scan and ASB modules. I would keep your reference manuals close and be patient. Its been my experience that Analog channels on SLC RIO's can be one of the most frustrating things to set up you will ever attempt. Once they are operating though, they work like a dream. Good luck!

Bill

In one slot addressing, what is the addressing used by 1746-NI16I? Input word and Output as well? Can I put a 1746-IB16 besides 1746-NI16I. Both in slot 0 & slot 1 respectively. Thanks

CK:

You had it all correct in your first post.

Use 1/2-slot addressing, just as you did.

The only alternative, keeping the I/O modules the same, would be to use 1-slot addressing, with complimentary (paired) I/O addressing. But to use that, you'd need a bigger rack, and have to re-arrage your cards. In slots 1&2 you could put your IB32 & OB32, but then you'd have to put your other IB32s in slots 3 & 5 (leaving 4 & 6 empty), the IB16 in slot 7 (leaving 8 empty), and then I think you could get away with putting the NI16V and NI16V in slots 9 & 10, but I'm not sure.

Billa: You would be correct if he was expecting the analog inputs to come into the I/O image table directly. But there is a DIP switch on the ASB (SW 3-7, I looked it up), that configures the ASB to restrict a "specialty" modules to a single slot, requiring block transfers to pull their data in.

The most recent 1747-ASB Users manual contains the clearest description of all these addressing schemes that I've seen from AB to date.

i'd like to ask if anoyone out there knows, how many bit(s) or word(s) one 1746-NI16I will consume? I tried i can't put a 1746-IB32 besides the analog module. Before I have a change to test if the analog module can work side by side with a 1746-IB32, my 1747-ASB hung itself!! ANyone out there please help...thanks.

Several things to check:

1) Is the NI16 set up to be class 1, not class 3? Only class 1 works with an ASB.

2) Is the ASB set to "block transfer mode", not "discete mode" (SW 3-7)?

To answer your question (from the ASB manual)
When block transfer mode is selected, all specialty modules that are block transfer mapped use one byte in the 1747-ASB module's input and output image.

"Specialty modules" include all Analog I/O modules.

Allen Nelson said:
Several things to check:

1) Is the NI16 set up to be class 1, not class 3? Only class 1 works with an ASB.

2) Is the ASB set to "block transfer mode", not "discete mode" (SW 3-7)?

To answer your question (from the ASB manual)

"Specialty modules" include all Analog I/O modules.

Thanks,

BTW, how can i set the analog to class 1? default is class 3. (sorry if i asked silly question, but i'm new to this.)

I've a 1747-ASB manual, dated 1998, is that the latest as claimed?

Regards,
CK Chew

Last edited:
sorry, the exact date for the 1747-ASB manual that I have is dated DEC 1996.

Where do u get the paragraph mentioned one analog module using 1 byte in and out?

Hi CK,

I think Allen Nelson made a good call. Apparently I didn't read your post clearly. Anyway I had older manuals like yours and looked up the newer ones from AB web site. The link below should get you directly to the manuals you need, but if not, just go to
www. ab.com/manuals and navigate to the right manual. You will need Adobe Acrobat to open .pdf files.

Good Luck,
Bill

http://www.ab.com/manuals/io/1746/1746-td001a-en-p.pdf

1 jpg = 1K words

Here's an excerpt from the online manual I was looking at (June 2003)

[attachment]

But here's a caveat or two that I missed (on the next page (3-16) of the manual:
The scanner and 1747-ASB module process a maximum of one RIO block transfer per logical device per RIO scan. If you wish to perform four RIO block transfers for a logical device, at least four RIO scans are required to complete these RIO block transfers.

The 1747-ASB module can block transfer up to a maximum of 8 words per block transfer.

The 1747-ASB module processes RIO block transfers that are less than or equal to the specialty I/O module's image size. For example, if a four word specialty I/O module is block transfer mapped, the 1747-ASB module accepts RIO block transfer reads for this module if they are less than or equal to four words. RIO block transfers always begin reading or writing word 0 (least significant word) of the module's image.

An RIO block transfer size of zero will cause all of the module's image to be transferred.

asb.jpg

Last edited:
Hi,

based on the explaination, this means that we can assign (for example):

slot 0 = 1747-asb
slot 1 = 1746-NI16I
slot 2 = 1746-IB16 or 1746-OB16.

1746-NI16I for slot 1 is utilized word 0 Input & Output. Slot 2 will utilize word 1 Input or Output. Am i right?

I'll download the user manual pub 2003. Thanks.