Writing/Reading data to an SD card in an L33ER compactlogix

Cajmccormick

Hi again guys,

This forum has been great for all the questions ive asked these last few days.

Another one now.. haha

I am currently working through the manual RA has out on usability of a memory card with logix5000 controllers. Now while some of it is understandable, im having a hard time trying to understand how some of the logic works in actually communicating with the memory card.. In the example logic they give, they contact the memory card by using a MSG instruction to see if the card is present or not, i get this part. The part i do not get is when they are trying to create a file on the card, they have a tag executing the "create file" tag, but i am not seeing how this tag is interacting with the plc/card to actually create the file. I would like this function to be able to write a UDT and its data to the card and be able to read it afterward. It is probably something simple and small but ive been at it for awhile and cant seem to figure it out. I am newer to the PLC world so forgive my ignorance on said topic. Anything helps!
Cheers

Last edited:
I have a stripped down version of their sample that I can send you, PM me your email address.

Basically, there is a 500 byte array that your data has to be stuffed into. You populate a tag with the file name, then you trigger a write to save it. It creates a text file with the raw data on it.

When you read, you again have to give a file name, it reads the data into a 500 byte array, then you have to put it back into your UDT.

I did this quite a few years ago, but that is how I remember it working.

As far as the file creation, this happened with a message instruction with a specific class/instance that does the file creation. It's one of those mystery undocumented CIP objects from what I can tell.

I have a stripped down version of their sample that I can send you, PM me your email address.

Basically, there is a 500 byte array that your data has to be stuffed into. You populate a tag with the file name, then you trigger a write to save it. It creates a text file with the raw data on it.

When you read, you again have to give a file name, it reads the data into a 500 byte array, then you have to put it back into your UDT.

I did this quite a few years ago, but that is how I remember it working.

As far as the file creation, this happened with a message instruction with a specific class/instance that does the file creation. It's one of those mystery undocumented CIP objects from what I can tell.

Appreciate it, PM sent.