Distance sensor

aand74

We want to measure a diameter of a coil with steelwire on it (diameter of wire is 0.1 - 0.7 mm).
The coil diameter can vary between 200 mm and 700 mm.
The width of the coil is about 250 mm.
For the installation of a sensor we have to position it at about 850 mm to 950 mm from the center of the bobbin (due to the construction of the unwinder where we want to measure).
It might be possible that the steelwire that is unwound passes in the area where the distance sensor will scan, so maybe a sensor that does not detect small objects (< 1 mm) might be better then one that detects the smallest particles. That said, the sensor must detect the unwound part of the bobbin ( width +- 250 mm).
Has someone experience with such a sensor (ultrasonic, laser) with analog voltage or current output?
Thanks for your ideas.

Either an ultrasonic or laser distance sensor. For the size of the wire problem have a hinged plate that rides on the surface of the roll and point the sensor at that plate surface.

For the plate I would use hardened stainless or UHMH for long life.

Try Keyence. They have a lot of specialized sensors that are less costly than vision and work very well. I would try the LR-T series. https://www.keyence.com/products/sensor/laser/lr-t/index.jsp They have a lot of support worldwide so they should be easy to get and get help if needed.

I second what Rockford says. Have used LR-Ts and the IL series. LR-Ts are great with their TOF functionality, especially if you get the IO-link version. You can get an LR-T with analog out like you asked.