Micrologix to Red Lion HMI

calamwill

Hi guys, i'm pretty much a beginner to programming in general and i have been tasked with trying to get a micrologix 1400 PLC to talk to a G304K200 Red Lion HMI and i have literally no idea what i'm doing.

All i can find tutorials wise on Youtube is CompactLogix and ControlLogix which doesn't help me in any way whatsoever.

I am using rslogix500 to write the ladder logic for the PLC and Crimson 3.0 to develop the HMI but i have no idea how to get the two to talk to each other.

They are both connected with ethernet cables via an unmanaged switch and to be perfectly honest with you guys that's pretty much all i know of my situation as i am a novice at this.

Can somebody please help me through this?

yes that is done however i do not have an IP address assigned to it yet, i am waiting for one
Once you get it, Enter the IP address for the PLC
attachment.php

Enter the Ip address of your Red Lion unit in the Ethernet Tab of the Communications.
attachment.php

PLCIP.PNG EthernetTab.PNG

Last edited:
Use Bootp-DHCP Server, It's in your Rockwell Software
Start All Programs Rockwell Software

sorry to ask all these questions but i have literally no idea what i'm doing. once i have entered the IP address in the Bootp-DHCP Server, how do i know that it has been applied to the PLC?

On the front of the micrologix is an LCD screen that shows the status of your I/O. Press esc, then scroll down to select advanced settings and hit ok, then scroll down until you see ENET CFG and hit ok. This displays your MAC ID, and IP address. I've never set one this way, as I usually just use RS232 to go online first, then set it, But I believe this is what gbradley is referring to. Good to know.

I always use the keypad for a micrologix 1400. It's got the fewest possible ways to make something go wrong!

If you are having to wait for an IP address to be assigned to your PLC and HMI (by an IT department I'm assuming), you can set them both to be whatever you like for testing purposes. As long as you don't connect it to your plant network, it won't hurt anything. Just set them up something like:

PLC: 192.168.0.1
HMI: 192.168.0.2
Programming laptop: 192.168.0.3

Set the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0 on all of them and leave the gateway blank. Then you can at least have a play around and get your head around things while you wait for IT to get their proverbial **** together :)

Once you get your communications going,
Create one or two Data tags and link them to your PLC
You said you are Noob, so I suggest making only one or two, and then make only 1 page with one or two primitives.
That way you can get a good feel for it.
Good luck!

Tags.jpg

On the front of the micrologix is an LCD screen that shows the status of your I/O. Press esc, then scroll down to select advanced settings and hit ok, then scroll down until you see ENET CFG and hit ok. This displays your MAC ID, and IP address. I've never set one this way, as I usually just use RS232 to go online first, then set it, But I believe this is what gbradley is referring to. Good to know.

i tried to do this but it's saying i need a master password