FactoryTalk View SE error messages - bad malloc and IPC restarting

scotthower

I'm working on an existing system (Historian, VantagePoint, Transaction Manager - just added View SE to the mix). In the message area of View SE I see a repeating pattern of errors:

Timed out waiting for Col_Data_Advise: restarting IPC

(53687) -00001 -00001 The Collector thread could not find the collector class 8 instance 14

(53650) -00001 -00001 The IPC thread recognized a IPC read error 32794

-00001 -00001 No malloc, Bad Quality: 0x0

The last one (bad quality) repeats a varied amount of times. I've Googled and not found anything - I'm thinking that there is one misconfiguration that is cascading through to cause the error messages. I'm new to this particular system and working through how it's put together.

Can anyone point me to where to begin troubleshooting?

Thanks!

Rockwell Tech Support has a Tech Note on this type of message. You must have a Tech Connect contract to access this note.

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8664

They indicate it is actually a warning, not an error. It could mean no data points have been defined for the collector.

Are these errors (red circle), warnings (Yellow triangle), or informational (Blue circles) messages?

OG

You have not really said that you have any particular issue as a result of these messages. Is that correct? Are you just curious, and/or would prefer them not there?

scotthower said:
...In the message area of View SE I see a repeating pattern of errors...

Where exactly are you looking at these messages?
The Event Log for the View SE Server, or for an SE Client?

I think we are looking at possibly two separate issues here...

The first three errors I think are related...

Timed out waiting for Col_Data_Advise: restarting IPC

(53687) -00001 -00001 The Collector thread could not find the collector class 8 instance 14

(53650) -00001 -00001 The IPC thread recognized a IPC read error 32794

Do you have a TechConnect contract, or know of the AB Knowledgebase?

The reason I'm asking is because you said you have "Googled and not found anything". Any user that knows of the AB Knowledgebase, with or without a TechConnect contract, will usually have searched there first. You will still find results for your queries without a TechConnect contract, if they exist, but you will not be able to view them. Let us know if you cannot...

8664 - FactoryTalk Transaction Manager error log contains the following message: "thread IPC read error 32794"
Access Level: TechConnect

A small extract...

...likely cause of this message is a RSSql (now FactoryTalk transaction Manager) control connector that does not have any data points defined, or has no data points bound in enabled transactions...

The last message...

-00001 -00001 No malloc (memory allocation), Bad Quality: 0x0

For a Server, this might indicate a loss of at least one connection to an OPC Server, such as RSLinx. If RSLinx is the OPC Server, then check the available Diagnostics tools in RSLinx under the DDE/OPC menu.

For a Client, it could be a loss of tag data via its FactoryTalk Live-Data shortcut. Tag data could still be setup as a data point, being polled by the Client, but may not exist in the controller. Some edit that was made removing tag data, but not dealt with at the Transaction Manager or at the Client's end, etc.

Look to the FactoryTalk Diagnostics Viewer on the Server, Client, and or computer hosting the FactoryTalk Network Directory, as they may provide some further indication as to what's causing the errors. Go to FactoryTalk Administration Console>Tools>FactoryTalk diagnostics>Viewer...

Also, this is possible...

549321 - Some tag data no longer available on FactoryTalk SE clients

Basically, it instructs you to redefine the FactoryTalk Network Directory using the FactoryTalk Directory Configuration Wizard.

Again, let us know if you cannot view any of that information.

EDIT: slight overlap with OG there!

Regards,
George

Last edited:
Thank you both for your responses - I do have a TechConnect contract...for some reason I expected to find something via Google and just plain forgot to check there :-/ "Any user that knows of the AB Knowledgebase, with or without a TechConnect contract, will usually have searched there first." (I'm a bit sheepish now).

Geospark - I'm not seeing any issues...I just wasn't accustomed to seeing the errors in that space and was concerned that I was filling up some log somewhere or that I'm missing data that I thought was being collected. I'm seeing them in the event viewer for View Studio (View Se (Network Distributed)). I checked the FT Administration Console Diagnostic Viewer - the same events are there with slightly more detail.

Operaghost - Regarding the symbols before the message:

Black exclamation point in yellow triangle Timed out waiting for Col_Data_Advise: restarting IPC

White X in red circle (53687) -00001 -00001 The Collector thread could not find the collector class 8 instance 14

White X in red circle (53650) -00001 -00001 The IPC thread recognized a IPC read error 32794

White X in red circle -00001 -00001 No malloc, Bad Quality: 0x0

You have TechConnect, good!

Whether you are missing some data where it is needed or not would be hard for us to say? We know nothing about this installation, its size or complexity. But if you really want to get to the bottom of it, you will have to start learning and digging in.

So from OG's info, you now know you have a warning and three errors.

A timeout will usually carry a "Severity: Warning", whereas missing data points, or bad quality data points will usually carry a "Severity: Error".

As Technote 8664 suggests, you are possibly getting the first three messages because of one issue with data points. The "bad quality" error may also be a knock-on effect. Have you started looking at defined data points, and/or bound data points in enabled transactions?

Have you looked to RSLinx OPC Server, or whatever OPC Server(s) are on task, if any? Any suspect Topic names?

Have you looked at the Transaction Manager Error Log at all yet?...

38406 - FactoryTalk Transaction Manager: How To Read Error Log Files

48870 - FactoryTalk Transaction Manager: How to interpret Error Messages

51456 - FactoryTalk Transaction Manager: Understanding Error Messages

8594 - Transaction Manager error log file entry ERR Collector thread could not find collector class 5 instance 1
Access Level: Everyone

If you need more assistance, then detail your findings. We'll help you to help yourself. Like saying FTAC had the same errors but with more details - what extra detail is there and please don't just post back those details. Do the other stuff as well first. i.e. don't drip feed us, go hunter gatherer style!

Detail in>Detail out!

G.