Direct Logic 105

arkyny

I have the DL 105 that I have extensive experience with, and I bought one years ago and experience with Automation Direct PLC's. I have since retired and dug this 105 out to do a personal project but cannot connect to the PLC. I have 2 lappers, one with Windows 10 and the other is 7 Pro. Question, Is Windows 7 compatible with the 105? I have 2 different usb to rs232 cables. Any feed back? Thanks in advance. I failed to mention, I was using XP at the time!

Last edited:
Was wondering about that, not sure if Win7 sees it, and how to change the com port because it doesn't seem to let me do that.

There are two ways to approach it. You can try to get the device driver for the USB/serial converter to use a specific port number. Depending on the model converter you're using that may be easier said than done. The other approach is to set up a connection in Direct Soft that uses the COM port assigned to the converter. You can find out which COM port by running Windows Device Manager and expanding the "Ports (COM and LPT)" item. Plug in your USB/serial converter and wait for it to be recognized before running Device Manager.

There are two ways to approach it. You can try to get the device driver for the USB/serial converter to use a specific port number. Depending on the model converter you're using that may be easier said than done. The other approach is to set up a connection in Direct Soft that uses the COM port assigned to the converter. You can find out which COM port by running Windows Device Manager and expanding the "Ports (COM and LPT)" item. Plug in your USB/serial converter and wait for it to be recognized before running Device Manager.

And once you are in Device Manager, you can force the device to a specific comm number and it will always use the one you specify each time you plug it in. Going from memory, you have to locate the device and go to its advanced tab to do this. I have a couple of old clunky software programs that will only use COM1 or COM1 through 4 so I force my favorite adapter to COM1.

And once you are in Device Manager, you can force the device to a specific comm number and it will always use the one you specify each time you plug it in. Going from memory, you have to locate the device and go to its advanced tab to do this. I have a couple of old clunky software programs that will only use COM1 or COM1 through 4 so I force my favorite adapter to COM1.

Yes I ran into that once on Keyenc Laddbuilder. It would only allow COM0 or COM1 i think.

I've fought a continual problem with Windows 10 where Windows wants to substitute a different driver for my AD USB-232 converter. I forget the name right now, but I have had to reset to the AD driver multiple times in the past. I might have finally killed it the last time, because its been weeks since I've had the issue. But, when it does happen, none of the AD software will work, even though it shows the com port in device mangler.