Request for Android HMI testers

lfe

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello :

On my Android HMI app I recently added Ethernet/IP connectivity with MicroLogix and SLC AB PLCs, but I have only been able to test it with a MicroLogix 1100.
I'm really not sure if it works with SLC or with other MicroLogix models.

If someone could try it, I would appreciate it.
To access the test, from the Android device, open this https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.suppanel.suppanel on the web browser and install the Beta version.
On the application you have to open the "EIP MicroLogic SLC Test" panel that contains some instructions.

Thank you very much !

I got it to read from an SLC 5/03 via a NET-ENI today with very little effort. Nice work! What in particular would you like tested? I have a SLC 5/05, ML1000, ML1500, and ML1100 available to me.

Shawn

Thank you very much! Good News !

As you want ... the test with SLC 5/05 would be fine!

I have tested it extensively with ML1100 I suppose that with the rest of ML's it will work fine.

Now I have to program the connection for Compact/ControLogix but I have it difficult because I do not have any to test :(

I had a quick look yesterday on your website and it seemed a pretty nice application.

Sadly I don't have a single Android device with me, but started thinking already about possible uses for this and will surely keep track of it.

I do have CLX installed on site for a few years at least so I could test it out eventually.

Thanks for the offer @cardosocea but for debugging I need to have a physical device ...

Maybe I can use a cheap Micro800 I think the protocol is very similar to CLX and also the programming software is free. I have to investigate.

My wishes to improve Suppanel in the future:

- CLX connectivity
- Optional user login for write operations
- Simple recipes
- Android Kiosk mode (the user can not quit the app)

But since two weeks ago I have a full-time job,
Good for my economy !
Bad for Suppanel evolution.

Thank you all.

Hi lfe,
Great app. I'll try it out on the Do-More using Ethernet IP. This works well with the Modbus TCP.
Regards,

In fact there are two types of protocol for explicit Ethernet/IP messages that AB use:

- The one used by MicroLogix and SLC that uses the old DF1 protocol encapsulated in an Ethernet/IP message, it uses Data Files (O, I, N, S, R, F etc.) for addressing
- The native Ethernet/IP that uses CIP messages, used by Control/CompactLogix, it addresses using tag names that the programmer defines.

I think that CLX can map tags to Data Files, in this case the protocol already available in Suppanel would probably communicate with the mapped tags.
About Do-More PLC I don't know if it uses or it can map to Data Files.

Thank you so much Garry !

In fact there are two types of protocol for explicit Ethernet/IP messages that AB use:

- The one used by MicroLogix and SLC that uses the old DF1 protocol encapsulated in an Ethernet/IP message, it uses Data Files (O, I, N, S, R, F etc.) for addressing
- The native Ethernet/IP that uses CIP messages, used by Control/CompactLogix, it addresses using tag names that the programmer defines.

I think that CLX can map tags to Data Files, in this case the protocol already available in Suppanel would probably communicate with the mapped tags.
About Do-More PLC I don't know if it uses or it can map to Data Files.

Thank you so much Garry !

The CIP has more flexibility, but you need to fill in more data.

CompactLogix has the ethernet port on the controller. I believe that it is referenced as path '0,0' for 'Slot 0'

ControlLogix has the ethernet port on a separate card, and you get to the controller via the backplane. The path is '0,slot' where 0 gets you to the backplane and slot gets you to the backplane slot that the controller is installed in. You can have multiple controllers in one backplane.

The code that you wrote for the SLC can access the ComapctLogix and ControlLogix via 'PLC5/SLC Mapping'. It may limit things a bit, but for a small system that should not be a problem.

thanks for the explanation.

Another big advantage of CIP is that it can read several tags in a single request, but the SLC protocol can't read several Data File elements at once.

... the SLC protocol can't read several Data File elements at once.

Sure it can. I think it can even read scattered addresses in one request.

http://www.iatips.com/df1_tips.html

You might need to work on your driver! I haven't attempted to write a driver for anything ever, so my hat's off to you and others that have done this, please take no offense.

I didn't find where it says non contiguous addresses, the documented says 10 contiguous words starting at N7:0.

And this manual, the DF1 reference, that I used for my code doesn't mention any multiple scattered addresses read : http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/rm/1770-rm516_-en-p.pdf

Thanks but the Ethernet/IP for MLX was not hard to write, very easy compared to write the OPC UA driver, it's all my own code and supports encryption.

Last edited:
I didn't find where it says non contiguous addresses, the documented says 10 contiguous words starting at N7:0.

And this manual, the DF1 reference, that I used for my code doesn't mention any multiple scattered addresses read : http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/rm/1770-rm516_-en-p.pdf

Thanks but the Ethernet/IP for MLX was not hard to write, very easy compared to write the OPC UA driver, it's all my own code and supports encryption.

I'm getting old and my memories get a little blurry sometimes...but I knew I read about it somewhere...

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=35782

Garry,

The second image you posted says "Do-more mapped memory" and refers to a V element type that doesn't match any of the SLC/MicroLogix Data File identifier letter(s), it seems it refers to some Do-more specific memory area.

Unfortunately I think that Suppanel can not read data with this PLC using the MicroLogix/SLC Ethernet/IP version that Suppanel supports actually.
Any address that does not comply with what the attached photo says is not accepted by Suppanel.

The TEST button responds successful due the Ethernet/IP register session command it executes is valid for all Ethernet/IP versions

Thanks Garry ! you have a nice automation site !

help.jpg

Last edited: