OT: Health ~ Standing Desk?

geniusintraining

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Now that im getting older.... 52 next month I have been looking at my health more and more, I dont get out as much as I use to (doing physical work) and find myself sitting more and more, I hit 276 on the scale but down to 245 now and still dropping, my goal is 220 and should be there in a couple more months

Anyone have one of the standing desk? I have been thing about getting one https://www.varidesk.com/shop

Also if anyone has had back issues, I have been taking a natural anti inflammatory and has helped (I think) a lot https://www.trivita.com/content/products/product-view.aspx?id=6748 since I have been taking it I have not had any bulging/pinched disk issues

Anyone else taking supplements? I take a long list everyday

I like the adjustable one thats motorized but its not cheap... but I think it will be worth it in the long run

Our entire company only have motorized desks.
I use mine to vary between sitting and standing which helps my back.
I also hear that by just standing you burn more calories.

As for the sitting and sanding - if I sit too long my body does start acting up, but if I stand in one place (as in next to a machine being commissioned on a laptop) I get just as many aches and pains. Fortunately most of the time I have to walk around, squat, kneel, etc. to keep everything moving.

A lot of people around me have a Varidesk sit/stand unit, which is very nice because it moves your whole work surface up and down. it is also "free standing" on the base desk, not requiring clamps or screws. I have an older Ergotron, that only moves the monitor and keyboard, and have used it for at least 6 or 7 years.

My experience is that I can do e-mail, documentation, proposals, etc. while standing. But when it comes to coding and heavy troubleshooting I need to sit down. Which means taking walk-around-breaks as necessary.

Re anti-inflammatory supplements, take a look at curcumin (derived from tumeric).

How long do you think you're going to live? Plan on that basis.
Anti inflammatory is for temporary use and its purpose is, you guessed it, to reduce inflammation. The underlying problems has to be treated and you sound like you identified one and another one is likely to be a weak posterior chain. You need to get stronger.

This guy, Mark Rippetoe is pretty good at delivering that message, train (not exercise though nothing wrong with exercise, just know the difference.)to get stronger. Strength training will make you feel physically and mentally good pretty fast that you just may get addicted to it.

Good article, I use to play ball and worked out from high school days to my mid 30's but its all about time now, once we move I do plan on walking a lot as there are many trails where we are moving to, I will be ordering the motorized desk for my new shop

One of my issues was I ate like I still worked out and that was OK but once I stopped doing a lot of physical work I still ate and it caught up to me, when I moved to SC I weighed 220 and felt good so once I get back down and start up my cardio work out again I think it should help, then the stand up desk should also help with my back

I have a 66 stair step commute between the house and the shop and I've very forgetful. It keeps me in shape running back and forth to grab things (y)

aabeck nice looking idiot running that machine
++1 for stand-up desks. A project manager here at my office got one and he stands up all the time. The bank officer had one when I went in Saturday. I'd like to try one.
I'm way older than all you guys and I don't use any supplements--just blessed with good health--no arthritis or anything--feel like I'm 40.

I have a Flexispot

Really happy with it. It comes with the legs and motor but no top so it gives you some flexibility to mix-and-match. Mine is paired up with an Ikea countertop.

Takes some getting used too, I try to stand for a few hours each day, but don't expect to stand 4 hours a day from day one. Takes some training. I always wear tennis shoes when standing but you might want to look at a standing mat as well.

Here's an very inexpensive option if you putting one of these at home:

Search for "standing desk legs" then mounted it on a IKEA desk top.

We have guys here who've purchased Varidesk & Versadesk adaptor units that mount atop a regular desk. These are nice but do reduce the available workspace. One other guy went with a brand new desk from Uplift Desk which he absolutely loves. It's probably a better way to fly if you can afford it.