AB VFD Troubleshooting

chintankAne

Hi I am working on old machine in which AB controllogix PLC used.

VFD : Power Flex40 (22B-D6P0N104)
VFD connected to PLC using Eathernet

3 Phase Induction Motor : Rating 3 HP full load current 6 Amp.

I check and found problem in my VFD and I have spare VFD the detail of that VFD is as follow

Spare VFD : Power Flex4 (22A-D8P7N104)

I can connect my spare VFD ????
If Yes then

I need to change in VFD configuration in my PLC?? HOW??

http://postimg.org/image/hgdzumket/

VFD.jpg

The PowerFlex 4 VFDs do not support Communication Cards. So, the only way you could make it work is if you have some Digital Outputs, Inputs, and an Analog Output available.

Then you would have to modify your PLC Code to use those instead of the Ethernet Communications.

Stu....

Another potentially big issue is that the PF40 is capable of Sensorless Vector Control, the PF4 is not. Most of the time if an application did not need SVC, then they would have used the less expensive PF4, so it's a good bet that they used the PF40 because they needed to. Replacing it with the less capable drive could lead to poor performance or failure of the machine.

Thank you for your help

I check and found I have Spare PowerFlex 40(22B-D010N104) drive as well. So i decided to go with power flex 40.

So while changing drive model what change should I need to change in contrologix PLC(Program).

I think you're mistaken. I'm sure the Powerflex 4 VFD can be used on Ethernet, DeviceNet, Profibus & ControlNet using comms cards. See here http://www.ab.com/en/epub/catalogs/36265/1323285/9566682/Accessories.html

Technically, you are correct, but the PF4 would not be a drop in replacement for the PF40, as other items would be required to make it work. From your AB Link, and the notes under the Communications Options.

§ PowerFlex 4 & 4M drives require External DSI Communication Kits. Communication Adapters cannot be drive mounted.

I was aware of this, because I have dealt with this issue before. Hence the reason for my answer to the OPs question.

Stu....