FactoryTalk View Studio Win10 Error SOLUTION

Ih8Siemens

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hey everyone,

Still new on the site but wanted to give a post back that hopefully helps someone else out.

I am running FT View Studio on my windows 10 laptop. I had a program and HMI project due today for a company revision and upon opening FT View Studio to finish the final touches, Once opened FT View gave me this error:

Cannot connect to addin object
Name: View Studio Activity Bar
Cause: 800004005

Cause/SOLUTION (For Windows 10 only, other Operating Systems were not affected) Also note, this is only if you had updated windows or this problem just came up in the last few days 1/6/2018.

Microsoft recently announced a vulnerability that was present for over a year, they released the patch yesterday to fix the issue. This impacted nearly every device (PC's, iPhones, Androids, the whole heard) Rockwell released a KB TC article on the topic which simply states that they are aware of the issue and are working to get a patch out.

My friend from Rockwell and I spent the last 7 hours trying to figure this out and we got it:

Windows 10 ONLY (again other Operating Systems were not affected)

Go to windows search bar and type "Windows Update Settings"
Then go to "View installed update history"
Then select "Uninstall Updates"

as per Microsoft's KB the following updates were affected by this patch, **ONLY UNINSTALL ONES THAT YOU SEE FROM THIS LIST**
KB4058702
KB4056892
KB4056890
KB4056891

This should allow you to use your program once again, I recommend delaying updates for 30 days since everyone is about to blast out patches left and right.

Hope this helps someone! If you have this specific problem and need help shoot me a PM (Sorry to admins if this is posted in the wrong place)

To help others out, I also had to uninstall KB4056887. It was related to Adobe Flash Security.

Since it wasn't on the list mentioned above, don't take my word for it that it's completely safe to uninstall and won't cause other issues. But, for me the issue was not resolved until I uninstalled the update mentioned above. I have not noticed any issues on my PC since I uninstalled it, for what its worth.