CompactLogix L20 - Firmware Update

mrhhassan

I was recently updating the firmware revision of a CompactLogix L20 processor when someone working near me cut the power to the PLC. When I tried to set things up again I can no longer communicate to the device using RSLinx nor can I continue to update the firmware.

I tried taking out the battery for 20mins or so but it didn't seem to help.

Every time I start I just get a red light on the OK LED and nothing else...is there any way I can fix this?

Ugh. I think you'll have to have it repaired by A-B (they have direct Flash burners at Twinsburg).

You probably interrupted it after the Flash Erase, but before the Boot Firmware was complete. I've only done this once out of several hundred CPUs I've upgraded, but it can happen.

[edit: reading my old comments, I should point out that I did brick a 1794 FlexLogix once. The Flex and Compact controllers have a bigger risk of firmware failure because the boot code takes longer to download via RS232 than it does via Ethernet, so there's just more time for something to go wrong. The future L6x and L3x controllers with CompactFlash ought to make that a thing of the past !]

Last edited:
Doh!

Well I was afraid of that...well I have two more on my shelf - let's hope I don't brick the next one....

Ken
How is the Compact Flash going to do away with this? We have a bunch of the old L1's and are looking at upgrading to L55's or L62's.