Ethernet Motor Starters

Hello!

Are there any options out there for Ethernet electronic motor starters? I know electronic motor starters are becoming more popular, but haven't seen any with built-in Ethernet.

Here is an example of the electronic starters I'm referring to:

http://www.eaton.eu/Europe/Electric...ingMotors/ElectronicMotorStarterEMS/index.htm

TIA,

Greg

I've used eaton before, I guess they've fixed random comm faults but when they worked they seemed to work well. When they didn't... I'm sure it ****ed off a few people.

AB has the armorstart line, I’ve personally never used them so can’t comment on their performance. These have been out a while so I’m sure there are other manufacturers that offer something similar.

https://ab.rockwellautomation.com/Motor-Control/LV-Starters/ArmorStart-Distributed-Motor-Controllers

I’ve used them before and loved it. Great for distributed IO systems as panel space is freed up. They have options available with a handful of m12 inputs and outputs that makes connecting local associated devices way easier. Different guts are available too if you want starter, reversing starter, vfd.. best is local lockout point is there in the case so constant power can be run directly and saves the local isolation switch required by our local code rule. Definitely pay way more for these ArmorStarts as opposed to the hardwired starters solution in the panel, but there are benefits to be had as well.

The schneider tesys range has been out for years (Tesys U and Tesys T). They have a new island system ( which is not only for motors but distribution as well.Linked above by kallileo)

Tesys U:
One clip-on automation control module, from a choice of 3: (3): Modbus, CANopen, AS-Interface and PROFIBUS DP, Ethernet, DeviceNet, Fipio, Interbus S via Advantys STB le module or a simple parallel link

I've used tesys u with LULC09 module (DeviceNet) and EN2DNR (AB gateway Ethernet/IP - DeviceNet). I like this topology, because several tesys U can be connected in dasychain to a single EN2DNR (just one IP address).

Saludos.

I've seen some from Siemens before. M200D are IP65 motor starters on Profinet.

I think I heard that they have motor starters as IO cards in the ET200SP form factor as well. I saw a demo once, but I've never seen them in the wild.

Hello!

Are there any options out there for Ethernet electronic motor starters? I know electronic motor starters are becoming more popular, but haven't seen any with built-in Ethernet.

Here is an example of the electronic starters I'm referring to:

http://www.eaton.eu/Europe/Electric...ingMotors/ElectronicMotorStarterEMS/index.htm

TIA,

Greg
So what are you meaning by "electronic motor starter"? The device you liked to is a small "hybrid" starter that is a solid state contactor with electro-mechanical bypass, and from the size of it, it likely only has the electronics (SCRs) on 2 of the 3 phases, the third is likely a piece of bus bar. It is limited to 3kW, which would be 4HP if such a thing existed here, so really it's 3HP and under. Also it is NOT "Ethernet" per se, it is "SmartWire DT" which is an adjunct protocol, meaning if you want to communicate via Ethernet, you must use a "gateway" device (protocol converter). Most mfrs are coming out with a version of that, called "IO Link", which is an offshoot of Ethernet/IP protocol and more universally available. IO Link was originally developed for smart sensors, but is being adopted for simple on-off control of things like motor starters, when you DO NOT need the full communication capability of Ethernet.

If you want Ethernet, use Ethernet (I happen to like Ethernet/IP), and if it is small, like what that linked product is, there is no advantage to the solid start contactor part of it, just use a small contactor and an intelligent OL relay with Ethernet comms built-in. If you want a solid state power device, use a soft starter with an Ethernet card on it, that little POS starter is not worth considering in my opinion.

Most mfrs are coming out with a version of that, called "IO Link", which is an offshoot of Ethernet/IP protocol and more universally available. IO Link was originally developed for smart sensors, but is being adopted for simple on-off control of things like motor starters, when you DO NOT need the full communication capability of Ethernet.

I definitely 2nd the recommendation of IO-Link.

I wanted to add that it isn't really tied to EIP in any way, it works as an offshoot of just about whatever network you're using.