Can't go online, upload... RSLogix 500

padees

Hmmm,

Having issues today. Trying to go online with a pair of SLC551 and ML1400 on the same network.

I get the message: Diagnostic Status Failed: 0x4. See attached pic.

Browsed around the net, did a few things suggested a number of years ago from this forum. No-Go.

Looked up on Rockwell KB. Got answer BF23071 which basically stated to make sure there were no other duplicate IP's on the network. Nope!

Then it suggested to try ping it. Yep, I can ping all 4 devices with success. RSLinx sees everything fine.

I was on this system about a month ago, and all was fine. The only thing that has changed is I installed and activated FTView ME V11 this past Monday.

Now Monday, I tried the transfer utility in FTVME to get the runtime file and that did not work. It came up with a message something like the source was invalid.

I looked all over for an answer, but nothing is working.

This is a W7P 64 laptop.
Linx is V4.11
RS500 is V10
FTVME is V11
Also have various flavors of RS5000/Studio5000.

I also installed all the patches.

Not sure what's up, and was hoping someone may have had to deal with this in the past.

I do have to get this system updated and running tomorrow, and only have 4 hours to do everything.

My backup plan is to use an older laptop I have with RS500 on it, so I shouldn't have a problem completing the tasks for tomorrow.

Thanks!

0x4.jpg

Last edited:
I have seen this error a handful of times and with more than one root cause, usually network related. The most puzzling case for me was when my laptop was terribly confused because the wireless network set for DHCP had been issued an address in the same network as the hardwired NIC. After running out of things to try, I disabled the wireless and it went online right way.

Another time I recall having to blow away the harmony files (but those Harmony issues haven't cropped up for me in a few years).

The most common reason I see this error is because the driver name or Node number in the offline file was saved on a machine with slightly different contents in its RSLinx driver and it doesn't align with the Node number in my present RSLinx driver instance. In those cases, I select the correct CPU from the RSWho when going online...but it looks like you are actually in the process of doing that when you hit this snag.

These are just random guesses, easy enough to try out though.

Just a WAG... but Windows update maybe? do you have a serial cable you can use for today?

Thanks guy's!

I did have my mobile hot spot running, but I turned that off. Didn't work.

Pic from the KB article attached.

I did not try the older Ethernet driver because the KB said it was both. I will give it a try.

KB.jpg

Use the older Ethernet driver, not the Ethernet I/P driver.

Yes, this is another common one with the older 5/05s, but should not be required for any ML1400 that I am aware of. Usually the RSWho window will not even find the older 5/05s in the Ethernet/IP driver and if one is listed, it will (after some time) put a red X on the icon.

Just a WAG... but Windows update maybe? do you have a serial cable you can use for today?

I don't believe this had any windows updates, but could be possible.

I do have a UIC, but don't know where it's at. I'll try find that just to have more ammo.

It's an hour and a half drive one way, I'm home for the day. Hit it tomorrow.

Wait a minute, I have a 553 here at home. That can just use a USB to Serial converter? I thinks that how I set that one back up?

Old brain cells... LOL

If you have a copy of the offline files for these PLCs, you can look at the CH0 configurations (and ch2 for the ML1400) to see what the serial port requirements might be. If they're set up for DF1 full duplex then a 1747-CP3 and a regular RS232 converter is all you'd need to get in using a DF1 driver. I forget the pinout of the CP3 cable, but iirc, it is just a null modem with female ends, one of which is a right angle. So you can make one without any real fabrication if you are a good boy scout and carry some null modem adapters and gender changers along with a straight serial cable.

EDIT: Mickey has always had concise answers for these sdetails:
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showpost.php?p=278636&postcount=2

Last edited:
Yes, this is another common one with the older 5/05s, but should not be required for any ML1400 that I am aware of. Usually the RSWho window will not even find the older 5/05s in the Ethernet/IP driver and if one is listed, it will (after some time) put a red X on the icon.

I've been on this system many times over the years with this laptop and my older laptop, and always used the Ethernet I/P driver with no issues at all.

It seems all started when I installed the FTVME software, so wondering if something there isn't playing well?

I do have a V11 update for RS500 I never installed, so could try that as well.

First order of business tomorrow is getting this system running for them. I should have some time to play with this mess after that and should have a day or so next week to try solve this.

If you have a copy of the offline files for these PLCs, you can look at the CH0 configurations (and ch2 for the ML1400) to see what the serial port requirements might be. If they're set up for DF1 full duplex then a 1747-CP3 and a regular RS232 converter is all you'd need to get in using a DF1 driver. I forget the pinout of the CP3 cable, but iirc, it is just a null modem with female ends, one of which is a right angle. So you can make one without any real fabrication if you are a good boy scout and carry some null modem adapters and gender changers along with a straight serial cable.

EDIT: Mickey has always had concise answers for these sdetails:
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showpost.php?p=278636&postcount=2

Yep, have null modem adapter and gender changers. I have every revision of the offline source files for this since around 2002. I also installed the ML1400 on this a while back.

EDIT: Yep, DF1 full duplex.

Last edited:
You spelled it wrong. It's pronounced FCTME View.

I despise that software. They should ship it with a 40oz speaker magnet and a coupon for Jack Daniels.

Oh, I hear you!

That's why in a post a few days ago I said I was sucked into the dark side. LOL

Usually only do Red Lion or the new PV5000 series, a C-More here and there.

I thought that might be the case. Although the original post said MicroLogix, the screenshot with the error had SLC 5/05 in it.

I thought that might be the case. Although the original post said MicroLogix, the screenshot with the error had SLC 5/05 in it.

There are (2) 5/05's and a ML1400. All (3) get the same error.

No upload, no download, no go online with any of them. Same error...

The only (2) buttons in the screenshot that work is Cancel and Help. The OK button also causes the error.

Last edited:
There are (2) 5/05's and a ML1400. All (3) get the same error.

No upload, no download, no go online with any of them. Same error...

The only (2) buttons in the screenshot that work is Cancel and Help. The OK button also causes the error.

Got ya.

Did you try it with the old Ethernet driver? I know RA says that ML1400 and ML1100 supports Ethernet I/P, and that may be the case, however KB BF1900 sort of contradicts that. While the summary is SLC specific, the problem makes mention of ML1100, which then makes me suspicious of the ML1400.

Edit: I believe you when you say you've used the EIP driver, I'm just wondering if there is some undocumented feature that makes the driver iffy with those controllers.