Red Lion String

rjswagel

Red Lion Crimson 3.0 string tag read/write to logix 5000 controller. It reads no problem when I write to the controller I get a row of $00$00$00$00 of varying lengths depending on the entry. I am new to Red Lion as our shop is 99% Rockwell.

Welcome to PLCTalk.

Can you share more detail?

What driver are you using in your red lion product?

Are you just assigning a crimson tag to a Logix 5k string tag, or are you doing something more complex?

And the bigger picture, what is the big view of what you are trying to accomplish?

I want to be able to change the string change in the PLC. It is a down time description.

Driver Allen-Bradley Native Tags via L5K file

I have the plc tag assigned to a crimson tag.

I have an extensive OEE program in the PLC and want the ability to change downtime descriptions from the HMI

Thank you, I am working through the pdf. It has me to the point where I an now getting an empty string. I am going to set my length to a constant as my PLC is a custom length of 12.

I worked through the PDF and I can control my length, but I still only get $00$00.... based on what length I enter into the len. I still do not get anything to enter from the HMI keyboard.

I am thinking that I am not executing the information out of the keyboard. Is there a set up that I need to perform to make the keyboard?

What is your Crimson hardware?

Did you follow Ken's instructions for using the object data entry complete action?

If you can zip and attach your crimson file to a thread that would speed things up. (To attach files, in the quickreply window click the "Go Advanced" button at the bottom, then follow the instructions for "Attach File").

Yes, ending the string is not a problem and that document is a bit out dated. Red Lion allows you to set the string length when creating the tag. Using Ken's document I have manipulated the length to any length lower than the length set by the PLC.
I get $00 for each character of the length. In Rockwell that would mean that the field was left empty. I try an external keyboard with the same results. I am using version 32 of Studio 5000 in my PLC. This has the feel of a compatibility issue.

You mention keyboard. I still don't know what hardware you are using to execute the Crimson 3.0 file. Is this a DataStation Plus with a USB keyboard? Is it a Graphite 15" with on screen keyboard? Something else?

I am using a G310R210. The keyboard is the pop up screen keyboard opened by the data entry box.

Here's where I am at. If I set the length to zero and enter no data in the keyboard data field the PLC string in the PLC is ''. That is a correct Null output with a length 0. If I set the length > than zero up to the max length of the string in the PLC and I enter characters into the data field I get $00 for each character of the length that I set, but I do not get the characters that were entered into the data field. Again this is what the Rockwell PLC will show in the string per character if the field is left empty from the remote device and the length is > 0.

From my perspective it appears that the data field from the popup keyboard is not moving into the PLC.

I am using version 32 of Studio 5000 in the PLC.

Can you share your cd3 file? (You will have to zip it first). I don't think I have a Logix5k cpu that can support version 32 here to test with, and it is possible that the issues are with that version, but if I test your cd3 file with the old Compactlogix CPU I have on my bench with whatever version it has (I don't even know at the moment) we could determine that.

The other possibility, that I am going to test out, is that my string is buried in UDT within a UDT, I am going to bring it to the surface and see if I can write to it.