Rockwell E300 emulated as an E3, anyone?

Ken Moore

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi Gang,

We have a large installation of Rockwell E3's. Connected to Siemens PCS-7 via a Devicenet-Profibus Gateway. I'm not sure what the exact status of the E3 is, but you cannot buy new MCC's with E3's, only E300's.

We have a new MCC with E300's and I am considering using the E3 emulation, just wondering if anyone has tried it yet. If so thoughts, concerns, issues?

Using emulation I can keep the same CFC chart structure, having all FVNR motors with the same configuration is a plus also.

I ran into this a few weeks ago when a customer called and said they replaced an E3 with an E300. They had already gone through Rockwell tech support and received the suggestion to enable the E3 emulation parameter. Customer still couldn’t get it working, hence the call to me. I read up on the emulation and decided it would be easier/faster than altering PLC code to match up with E300. After enabling the E3 emulation and cycling power, the parameters came up just like E3. I think even the icon in RSNetworx switched to E3. No PLC changes were required.

Thanks. Yeah, I watched a Youtube video on it, looks pretty straight forward. Set parameter 300 to the desired E3, cycle power and there it is. You can revert back too, if needed. I do not remember the exact parameter, 305 I think.