Send data to Zebra printer with Micrologix 1400 over ethernet

Easy peesy, Lemon Squeezy

ML1400 to Zebra

Have done this 100 times over the last 10 years.

Two choices:
A. Send ASCII strings out of the PLC serial ports (configured to ASCII)
Or
B. Buy a Real Time Automation Ethernet to ASCII Gateway.

Either or the above will work INSTANTLY.

Or, try this with socket based Ethernet messaging via RSLogix 500. You may get there, if you have the development time budgeted into your project.

$0.02

ML1400 to Zebra

Have done this 100 times over the last 10 years.

Two choices:
A. Send ASCII strings out of the PLC serial ports (configured to ASCII)
Or
B. Buy a Real Time Automation Ethernet to ASCII Gateway.

Either or the above will work INSTANTLY.

Or, try this with socket based Ethernet messaging via RSLogix 500. You may get there, if you have the development time budgeted into your project.

$0.02

Plastic

Could you post some information on how this is accomplished? I have a project where I need to do this for testing purposes, and get it done quickly. I could sure use some insight to get it going.

Thank you

Get the Real Time Automation 435-NBX

Use the RTA Web Server Setup to point at a ST (string) in your ML1400

Then just start loading ZPL ASCII Strings into that ST location in the ML1400.

The RTA will poll that string location and vacuum out the ASCII contents. The RTA will read your strings via Ethernet, then compose the ASCII Serial string to send to the printer via RS-232. Once the RTA processes the string in the PLC, the RTA will clear the string for your next use.

Use PLC ladder code to monitor the string length = to zero.
When the ladder sees a zero string length, then just move in the next string.

Use the Zebra ZPL programming manual to create your application specific label

^XA (Use this as your first string to start the label)

(then use other ZPL codes to create your label content)

^XZ (use this as you last line to end label and print)

Start with simple labels like “Test”, then keep expanding, it is a coordinate based system in pixels. Then add barcodes, and dynamic data using PLC data to String conversions, and PLC Concantenations to build dynamic human readable text, and barcodes.

Make your STATIC SAMPLE LABEL first… then use PLC programming to add the dynamic content.

Plastic

Thank you for the quick reply and the information. I have an RFQ over to my supplier for the RTA 435NBX.

When setting the label up as a string, will I end up making the entire label to print one long series of data, or is this a send it one line at a time, each time the PLC detects the string length as 0?

Plastic

I have a quote for the 435NBX, but it is too expensive for me to purchase for the testing needed. ($715/unit, plus the admin costs to get it into the company internal ordering system, etc.)

Could you shed a bit more light on the method of using the comm port and message instructions from the PLC?

I am using a ML1400 and will most likely go out of channel 2. Thank you for any additional information that you may be able to supply.

You will not be using MSG instructions.

You jest need to prepare STRINGS in the PLC and then write them to the RS-232 channel of choice.

Step 1 – Configure Channel 2 as ASCII 9600,N,8,1
Step 2- Use PLC instructions AWT and AWA to write your ASCII Stings out to the Zebra Printer

I always thought that MLX1400 can do RAW ASCII over Ethernet using Open Sockets? ;)

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/rm/1766-rm001_-en-p.pdf chapter 24
Dear Contr_Conn:
First of all, thank you for your contribution, I think you are right.
Have you programmed a MicroLogix 1400 PLC to print a label on a barcode printer (Zebra) over Ethernet?
If yes, Could you please share some guidelines with us?
Regards and thanks in a advance.

Succed, printing on a zebra printer over Ethernet

If someone need the PLC example i can send it to you, [email protected]. I made it work on a Micrologix 1400, now working on the Compactlogix.

A lot of memory is consumed by the way.

If any one need help related to coding of PLC and Printer. can contact me via mail or whats app. I have done PLC coding in MicroLogix, Compact Logix, SLC , Control Logix and Micro series with Zebra Gc420t (RS232), Gx420t (RS232) , ZT410 ( RS232) and ZT410 (Ethernet IP).

Regards,
Anil Kumar
+91 7874871765

Problem to socket conection

I have just installed a Zebra printer with a compact logix, if you want I can send you the manual and the label construction part of the plc program.

I'm traying to conect a vidiojet with sockets and i have many problems to conected, can you sent me the manual and the part of the program to mail?
thank you