Ethernet to DF1/DH485 passthru

alexbeatle

Good day!

Can SLC 500 5/05 be setup for Ethernet to DF1/DH485 passthru? So that all the devices on the DH485 or a single device on the DF1 are accessed and programmed through Ethernet?

Thanks,

Alex

Yes. You need to configure some stuff inside the SLC-5/05 Status table, of course.

The minimum configuration for Passthrough to DF1 is to set DF Gateway Enable S:34/0 = 1 and DH485 Gateway Disable S:34/5 = 1.

For Passthrough to DH485, set S:34/0 = 0 and S:34/5 = 0.

The Link ID's for Channel 0 and Channel 1 should be different.

These settings will give you the basic functionality of being able to "drill down" through the SLC-5/05 from the Ethernet side to browse the DF1 or DH485 network on the serial port.

If you want to allow messages to be bridged in the other direction, there's additional mapping and configuration to be done.

Yes. You need to configure some stuff inside the SLC-5/05 Status table, of course.

The minimum configuration for Passthrough to DF1 is to set DF Gateway Enable S:34/0 = 1 and DH485 Gateway Disable S:34/5 = 1.

For Passthrough to DH485, set S:34/0 = 0 and S:34/5 = 0.

The Link ID's for Channel 0 and Channel 1 should be different.

These settings will give you the basic functionality of being able to "drill down" through the SLC-5/05 from the Ethernet side to browse the DF1 or DH485 network on the serial port.

If you want to allow messages to be bridged in the other direction, there's additional mapping and configuration to be done.

Attached are my processor config screenshots.
I see my SLC 500 in the RSLinx, however I don't see the PanelView connected to it's RS232 DF1.

config.jpg

Two things stick out from those screenshots.

1. There's a pass-through routing table defined. Is the IP address of your computer in that Pass-Through Routing Table ? I've read Knowledgebase documents that say that for this particular purpose (Passthru to PanelView) it needs to be.

2. Do you have a good reason for setting the SLC-5/05 for 10 MB/s Half-Duplex on the Ethernet port ? If it's an older hardware model that's the only setting, but if it's a Series C hardware that does support autonegotiation, I recommend using Auto-Negotiation if possible.

What is the Node Number configured for the PanelView terminal ?

Is the PanelView terminal successfully communicating with the SLC-5/05 over Channel 0 now ?

Passthru configurations frequently require a power cycle to take effect. I don't know why; this is just a recollection from the past.

The fact that your Channel 0 device is a PanelView makes the issue a little trickier, since PanelView use large packets for upload/download that can't necessarily go through the SLC-5/05's Passthru function, and because PanelBuilder32 is an old and cantankerous beast.

The RA Knowledgebase (surprising how often I mention that) contains documents like ID# 17573 (TechConnect) that address this specific configuration of Ethernet -> SLC-5/05 -> DF1 -> PanelView.

Two things stick out from those screenshots.

1. There's a pass-through routing table defined. Is the IP address of your computer in that Pass-Through Routing Table ? I've read Knowledgebase documents that say that for this particular purpose (Passthru to PanelView) it needs to be.

2. Do you have a good reason for setting the SLC-5/05 for 10 MB/s Half-Duplex on the Ethernet port ? If it's an older hardware model that's the only setting, but if it's a Series C hardware that does support autonegotiation, I recommend using Auto-Negotiation if possible.

What is the Node Number configured for the PanelView terminal ?

Is the PanelView terminal successfully communicating with the SLC-5/05 over Channel 0 now ?

Passthru configurations frequently require a power cycle to take effect. I don't know why; this is just a recollection from the past.

The fact that your Channel 0 device is a PanelView makes the issue a little trickier, since PanelView use large packets for upload/download that can't necessarily go through the SLC-5/05's Passthru function, and because PanelBuilder32 is an old and cantankerous beast.

The RA Knowledgebase (surprising how often I mention that) contains documents like ID# 17573 (TechConnect) that address this specific configuration of Ethernet -> SLC-5/05 -> DF1 -> PanelView.

1. The IP wasn't defined, but I just did it.
2. Ethernet speed was left on its default, as this is not a commercial project, but rather a project for educational purposes.
3. Power-cycles. I go through full power-cycles everytime, since had an issue with that in the past.
4. PV node #10, to avoid any identical ids.
5. The DF1 settings are identical for SLC and PV 19200 N/8/2
Could you please post the article from KnowledgeBase in PDF or otherwise, since I don't have an access to KB.

Thanks

rout.JPG

I worked on a SLC500 (SLC5/05 I think) today and I did not need to power cycle in order to get an addition to the PAss Thru Routing Table to function for communication with a serial port connected PanelView. [The official Rockwell Tech Support response was that a power cycle would be required (and not possible due to live operational plant)]. The vintage of the SLC was ~Year 2000 installation.