GE Experts - Help/advice please

MikeVT

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have two different GE PLC's - a Versa Max and a 90-30 - at the same customer's site, that when power is lost or cycled off then on, the PLC's do not go back to run mode. I must go online with these PLC's, and manually set them into run mode. Is there a setting or configuration option somewhere, that can cause this?

This customer is a do-it-your-selfer, and I and my co-horts here regularly have to bail them out, or fix their mess, or both.

Thanks,
Mike

No idea about those PLC's, however I assume they will have a diagnostics area that may give you some idea what caused the stop. Most PLC's will have this there would probably be a number of events for example power loss and maybe some other reason. I have in the past had an issue where power loss caused the value in a register to set invalid data, Never found out why it lost valid data or did not initialise it to 0, and it was supposed to be retentive, the cure was to set it to 0 on first scan. As I say I have no experience this is just a thought.

Expand the hardware configuration in the project navigator and double click the CPU. In the "Settings" tab there is an item labeled "Power Up Mode". The choices are "Run", "Stop", and "Last". The default setting is "Last" which means the PLC will restore from a power interruption in the state it was in prior to the interruption. With that setting if it was running when you pulled the plug it should come up running.
You should also check the fault tables and clear any entries. An uncleared entry that is considered fatal will supersede the configuration setting even if the condition that initially caused the fault has been corrected. Remember there are two fault tables, I/O faults and CPU faults.

Perfect! Thank you Steve!! (y)(y)

I figured there was something like this in the software, I just didn't know where to look. :unsure:

Mike