Cant get tags to populate in HMI

MattMatt9

Here is what I have done: We have a VersaView on the line and from what I know you cant do transfer utility for IPCs. So I got the MER file directly from it and converted to an MED file. I opened up the file and went to "FactoryTalk Linx" -> "Communications Setup". There is already a device shortcut. When I go to "Design (Local)" I added my PLC under "EtherNet, AB_ETH-1" clicked on the CPU, clicked on the device shortcut and hit apply. I then went to tag folder and hit "refresh all folders". It didnt work.

I have seen people do the "Copy from Design to Runtime" option but that doesnt seem to make sense in my scenario because the runtime is already working I just want the tags on the local side to be populated. So why would I copy from design to runtime. If anything I would want "Copy from runtime to design" but isnt that what the applying part is that I talked about above?