SLC BRICK port and language issues

Skiroy

Okay guys another hurdle. I found the PLC program print for the machine I was trying to incorporate a automated brake on. I was going to write in a few simple timer based rungs,but now looking at the print out it doesn't look like RS LOGIX 500 to me. Its an OLD SLC 500 brick style and its model number is 1747-L40A-L40c-L40F and here is the .PDF link if needed.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1747-um009_-en-p.pdf

The front page of the program print out says.

AB 1747 Series Software
APS Release 4.02
Documentation Utility
Program Listing

Here is the link to the PLC Program.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/96052065/tctl.PDF

Now to make things more difficult I finally convinced this company to buy the $500.00 Starter version of RS LOGIX 500. Originally it was to convinced them to back up the programs on our 5 machines with PLCs, but they only recently bought it(still not here) to upgrade an old PLC-2 system to a Micrologix 1400 system. Why this is relevant is because They are insisting it be installed on the server only,so I have to run a 50 ft Ethernet cable to the Micrologix,but to my knowledge it makes RS LOGIX 500 unusable for the SLC 500 in this scenerio. I see a Ethernet style port on the front of the SLC but I assumed this to be something different.

So my questions are as follows.

1.Is the software used for the posted program, currently in the SLC 500, compatible with RS LOGIX 500. Can I upload to RSLOGIX 500 Starter, add my couple of simple rungs, and re download to this SLC Brick with RS LOGIX 500 Starter or am I going to have to rewrite the entire program within RS LOGIX 500?

2. Is the connector on this model SLC 500 brick a Ethernet connector or DH+? It looks like a Ethernet style jack but I have never done anything with a SLC 500 Brick like these?

3. Is there any other options to connect to this SLC from the server, as far as cable converters, without having to buy a seperate module; that is if this port on the brick is not Ethernet?

Thankx,

Last edited:
The front page of the program print out says.

AB 1747 Series Software
APS Release 4.02
Documentation Utility
Program Listing
. . .
Now to make things more difficult I finally convinced this company to buy the $500.00 Starter version of RS LOGIX 500. Originally it was to convinced them to back up the programs on our 5 machines with PLCs, but they only recently bought it(still not here) to upgrade an old PLC-2 system to a Micrologix 1400 system. Why this is relevant is because They are insisting it be installed on the server only,so I have to run a 50 ft Ethernet cable to the Micrologix,but to my knowledge it makes RS LOGIX 500 unusable for the SLC 500 in this scenerio. I see a Ethernet style port on the front of the SLC but I assumed this to be something different.

So my questions are as follows.

1.Is the software used for the posted program, currently in the SLC 500, compatible with RS LOGIX 500. Can I upload to RSLOGIX 500 Starter, add my couple of simple rungs, and re download to this SLC Brick with RS LOGIX 500 Starter or am I going to have to rewrite the entire program within RS LOGIX 500?

Maybe. I think this excellent detail below may yield a definitive answer with some research. I am pretty sure you can enter that logic exactly as it is with a current version of RSLogix500, save it, and download it to the fixed SLC though it's DH485 port (NOT ethernet!). I don't know of incompatibilites between any version of APS software and RSLogix500. I think there were versions of ICOM software that cannot be uploaded with RSLogix500, but you should be able to properly connect and then upload any existing logic (without comments), and you can import those from the APS file if you have it.

Skiroy said:
AB 1747 Series Software
APS Release 4.02
Documentation Utility
Program Listing

Skiroy said:
2. Is the connector on this model SLC 500 brick a Ethernet connector or DH+? It looks like a Ethernet style jack but I have never done anything with a SLC 500 Brick like these?

NO NO It's an ethernet port destructor! ONLY DH485 devices can connect there.

Skiroy said:
3. Is there any other options to connect to this SLC from the server, as far as cable converters, without having to buy a seperate module; that is if this port on the brick is not Ethernet?

Trade it for a 5/03 or greater Modular hardware style SLC, or a Micrologix, then get a serial (rs232) to ethernet gateway or use a native ethernet port if you go to a 1400. IIRC, the fixed SLC had the inputs and output on the wrong ;) sides, so no matter what you replace it with, there will be rewiring of the local I/O anyway...

DH485 will always require at least one separate module.

Last edited:
Well, the program is the old DOS based Advanced Programming Software (APS) and your controller is the original SLC 500 "Fixed" controller

1. The RSLogix 500 Starter Edition is a version of RSLogix that was exclusively for use with the MicroLogix controllers. It cannot work with the original "fixed" style or the "modular" style.
  2. The connector is NOT ethernet. That connector is Data Highway 485 (DH485. That network was developed exclusively for the SLC family of controllers.
  3. To connect to this controller, the easiest method is to purchase the 1747-UIC USB/DH485 adapter. That controller requires a DH485 connection. If you have a PCMK card for your DH+ that card can also work for DH485 but it requires a different cable. Connecting remotely might be an issue as USB has a max cable length.

OG

Last edited:
I think Starter Edition includes SLCs, but no online editing, usage tables, cdms, and other stuff.

They have so many versions. We bought a Starter Edition for a sister plant with 5/02 5/05 and ML1100...

There is a Micro version that supports all the Micros, but not the SLCs, I think...

EDIT: Used the cofig wizard to find these:
9324-RLM0800ENE RSLogix Micro Developer, English, CD-ROM
9324-RLM0100ENE RSLogix Micro Starter, English, CD-ROM
9324-RL0100ENE RSLogix 500 Starter (English) CD-ROM

Not sure anymore which is which as far as features...

EDIT: 2011 power point see page 10
http://www.rockwellautomation.com/events/raotm/get/sessions/L03_connected_components_ppt.pdf
I can't verify that SLC includes the fixed hardware style, but pretty sure it works with a PCMCIA card and a 5/02.

Last edited:
The cost of upgrading your software and purchasing the required network interfaces would probably be more than buying an all new MicroLogix 1100 or 1400 controller.

Both of those controllers have built-in ethernet.

OG

Why this is relevant is because They are insisting it be installed on the server only,so I have to run a 50 ft Ethernet cable to the Micrologix,but to my knowledge it makes RS LOGIX 500 unusable for the SLC 500 in this scenerio.
Forget Ethernet - your PLC was built long before Ehternet was on the horizon. If you are serious about this stuff, buy yourself a cheap laptop and load whatever you need to do your job, and take it close enough to the PLC to use the RS232 or 485 interface cable. Many a electrician has let the IT department rule his work and it is a mistake hard to overcome.

Well, the program is the old DOS based Advanced Programming Software (APS) and your controller is the original SLC 500 "Fixed" controller

OG

Okay so lets say I verify that RSLOGIX 500 Starter can be used with the OLD fixed style SLC 500s. Being that this is written in DOS Based APS language,will RSLOGIX 500 Starter be able to bring the program up,allow it to be edited within RS LOGIX 500 or would it have to be completeley rewritten?

Okay so lets say I verify that RSLOGIX 500 Starter can be used with the OLD fixed style SLC 500s. Being that this is written in DOS Based APS language,will RSLOGIX 500 Starter be able to bring the program up,allow it to be edited within RS LOGIX 500 or would it have to be completeley rewritten?

I think the fastest way to find out is to try it. You must have a DH485 adapter for the PC, however, so once you obtain the right gear, there's no harm in finding out. If it does connect, and successfully upload then all you have to do is edit the comments and symbols database using your pdf as a basis.

I used RSLogix500 standard alongside* APS software for several years, and we did have guys who clung to the old school. I don't recall any conflicts between the two at that time, but they were all 5/03 and greater SLCs. Of course this was so long ago, Windoze was still a DOS application, so yes it's an apples to tangerines comparison...

*(I mean alongside each other on separate carts housing our "rollaround" programming terminals not on the same PC!)...

You need a 1747-UIC, 1747-PIC (and some hoops and tricks and luck), 1747-PCMK/B (my preferred) or some other way to get from PC to DH485 protocol and electrically.

And remember above all, as you plug into that RJ45 socket the first time, goal number one is to keep all the smoke in the devices...measure twice read thrice!

Last edited:
It looks like the Starter Edition does indeed support the fixed controller after all.

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/ci/fattach/get/2710/0/filename/RSLogix+Comparison.pdf

So now, it is a communications issue not a software issue.

The big problem with these controllers is that they only support DH485. Not serial, not ethernet, and not DH+. You CAN run a DH485 network cable along with a network adapter at each end and a USB/DH485 adapter for the PC.

OG

Is you goal just for programming access, or do you intend to put this thing on your ethernet network? If the latter, I think Digi makes a device that will do it for access via remote RSLinx stations or HMI's. If the machine needs a HMI and full time data collection, you could go that route with a G3 or other HMI which supports protocol conversion.

There was a technote about fixed and 5/0x programs written in APS not uploading because of some checksum calculations. I don't remember all the details I just remember there was some utility that you downloaded from AB that took care of he fix.