Kepware and RSView Studio 5000

martinshaw

Hi

Working with some project guys who have replaced a controllogix processor previously using RSLogix 5000 V11 for a controllogix 5588E using Studio 5000 Logix Designer, V32. The IP address of the PLC has remained the same as has all the module slot positions.

The problem I have is with a legacy machine using XP that cannot now connect to the new processor using Kepware. I am almost certain that its a version conflict now between Kepware and the new processor. The version of Kepware is V4.0. I have also tried Kepware V6 and this kind of works intermittently, but not satisfactory.

Question is, anybody know what version of Kepware I need to use to communicate to a Controllogix processor programmed with Studio 5000 V32?

Thanks in advance

Martin

Last edited:
Hi Dravik

Thanks for the quick response.

I am just in contact with Kepware now. Unfortnately, as this is a legacy system, there is no support so they seem reluctant to help. I think I may have to go to sales and see how they can help.

Martin

We verified it worked with 5.21 and 6.6 for a customer. The only thing that wont work is ATG for new PDT's. You however can address the items directly. We will be addressing the ATG issue and officially supporting the new firmware version in v6.8. As a not the way we communicated with the devices in the V4 server is not allowed after firmware v20 so you would not be able to use that server version with any new controller.

the V6 server will not install to an XP box either, although you probably discovered that.

Thanks Fred, that's good information.

I got a reply from Kepware saying V6 hasn't been tested with V32 firmware, only V31.11. However, a bit of an update is that we got V6 to work reliably on V32 using a different machine, but its obviously not an XP machine!

My options are limited as there is no funding for this part of the project, but ideally, I would get a new PC (Win8 or 10) with Kepware V6 and a newer version of the application. Just for interest, the application is by NUPRO and is used for slag detection on a continuous caster.

Some options to consider.
1. If you are running XP SP3 the V5.21 build, which we also tested for that other customer, will install on it,
2. Consider running everything in a virtual Machine on that XP box, Then you can run on a newer OS.

Fred

More good information, thanks.

Is Kepware V5.21 still available to purchase? And it definitely worked communicating with V32 firmware?

I have gone down the virtual route before on this particular plant, mainly with NT4 builds (and yes, we still have NT4 machines).

Fred
We downloaded V5.21 from the Kepware site but unfortunately, it wouldn't install and gave an error about untrusted installer. We tried the workaround by editing the registry and stopping the msi service but to no avail. Any ideas?