FTView Studio ME in VM network problems...

daba

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am working on an old ME (PanelView) job, and running FTView Studio 5.10 in an XP Pro VM on my Win 7 machine.

I have had this working before, so know it can be done, but at present the VM cannot see the PLC on the network, so I can't get at the online tags.

How should i set the VM IP address ? ... in the same range as my PC, or leave it at it's default address, or even opt for NAT, none of them options appear to work.

I've tried Pinging the PLC, with no success.

VMware Workstation Player was recently upgrade from 14.0 to 14.1.7, wondering if that is the reason ...

Some times VM connections defy logic. Here are some things to try. Give your host an IP on the same subnet as the PLC, give your VM another address on the same subnet. Use Bridged.
Sometimes, disabling your wifi card on the host is helpful. Some VM's I always have issues with, some VM's work like a charm. I do not know what the root cause is.

Some times VM connections defy logic. Here are some things to try. Give your host an IP on the same subnet as the PLC, give your VM another address on the same subnet. Use Bridged.
Sometimes, disabling your wifi card on the host is helpful. Some VM's I always have issues with, some VM's work like a charm. I do not know what the root cause is.

No WiFi on the host, I'm all cabled up.

I was already on Bridged, so looked at the "Configure Adapters" settings, and I had both the Host's network adapter AND the Microsoft Loopback Adapter checked.

I just unchecked the Loopback Adapter, and it is working now...

Thanks for the confirmation of Bridged, though ...

2019-07-10_141754.jpg

I only use VirtualBox, so keep that in mind.

My preferred configuration is to leave the guest network configuration set to NAT, leave the guest network adapter set to Automatically obtain. This tends to work the best and usually handles multiple network adapters on the host pretty well. The downside is that you have to use the older Ethernet Devices driver, the Ethernet I/P driver would no longer discover devices. The upside is that there is less work tinkering with network settings, you only really mess with the host. Plus, when I go to customers sites, I don't need to get 2 addresses from them.

Ken covered bridged configuration.

I only use VirtualBox, so keep that in mind.

My preferred configuration is to leave the guest network configuration set to NAT, leave the guest network adapter set to Automatically obtain. This tends to work the best and usually handles multiple network adapters on the host pretty well. The downside is that you have to use the older Ethernet Devices driver, the Ethernet I/P driver would no longer discover devices. The upside is that there is less work tinkering with network settings, you only really mess with the host. Plus, when I go to customers sites, I don't need to get 2 addresses from them.

Ken covered bridged configuration.

This is just a development set-up, the original ME project has to be updated graphically to catch up with plant changes, and it's running on Rev 5 of ME. It's on my private 192.168.1.xxx network, and I'll never do any development work on-site.

All I needed was to keep the project at 32-bit, use 5.10 FTView Studio to do the graphics, and take the Vers 5 .MER to site and download it to the PanelView.

This is the second of only 3 similar installations, I very much doubt the third will have any changes in my lifetime, and they have no plans to upgrade the PanelViews to a later revision. I'd love to see the PanelViews replaced, but if they were I would never use RA/Allen-Bradley stuff again.

I'm just putting finishing touches to the PanelView displays now. Hopefully if I use a VM again, I'll remember the configuration that works.

Use bridged networking. Ignore the settings for the host. It is not relevant. Assign your VM an address within the same subnet.

I have had issues before where my networking in VMware just stopped working and refused to come back.

If you go into your Virtual Network Settings there is a button in there to reset to the default configuration. I forget exactly what it is called.

That deleted and reinstalled all virtual network adapters. Everything woke up and worked like a charm after that. It's happened to me on two different PCs and I pulled my hair out twice trying to sort it out.

EDIT......."Restore Defaults"

OG

Last edited: