Unused UDT item cleanup

jholm90

Was curious with best way to find and clean out unused UDT items? I've been online with other programs before with 20+ elements that are not used in the program and it makes browsing and monitoring things a tad bit over complicated.

The only way that I've found is to delete all UDT items, compile/verify the controller and note down the missing tags. Cross reference only seemed to work on a tag by tag basis.

I appreciate your insights..

It reports all of the instances of the UDT but not the member usage.

I would do it old school, export to a .L5X file and run some searches with an editor like notepad++.

Maybe it depends on the version. In 29, if I cross reference the base UDT tag from the Controller Tags list, I do get every reference to everything in it, but then I can sort on the 'Reference' column to put them in order.

Maybe it depends on the version. In 29, if I cross reference the base UDT tag from the Controller Tags list, I do get every reference to everything in it, but then I can sort on the 'Reference' column to put them in order.

True. The OP said cross reference the UDT, not the tag of the UDT instance and there is a difference. If the UDT definition is cross-referenced in the Asset tree, it will report all of the tags that are of that instance but not their member usage.