3 Phase 120VAC to 1 Phase 230VAC

If it is 208 then you will want to acquire a 240 to 120v transformer of sufficient KVA. you would hook it between one phase and ground on the 120v side and use the 240 volt side for you 240 v.. that would be a 2:1 transformer. remember you need to know the KVA, not amperage of what you want to supply. A 1Kva transformer will supply approcimately 4 amps at 240 volts using this KVA. if what you want is a 3 phase output it will be different.

OP's question: How do you make 1-phase 230 from 3-phase 120?

Answer: use a transformer. BUT, you're going to have to answer my question to know which transformer to use...

MY question: Where are you finding 3-phase 120? Is that 70VAC phase to neutral, 120VAC phase to phase, or 117VAC phase to neutral, 208VAC phase to phase?

On this page is the discussion of 120/208. 208 really is NOT uncommon in the US. I've seen it in many plants during my 25 years of industrial experience. And Max is right -- it's VERY common for large industrial/commercial lighting/fixture circuits.

BUT -- that would properly be called 208 3-phase, not 120 3-phase. 120 3-phase would be 70V to neutral.
It is 208VAC phase to phase

A 500 va ( 0.5kva) transformer of 1:2 ratio will do 240 to 120 volts hooked up backwards ( secondary to line, primary as output) should do.

Many 230 Volt machines are rated +5%/-10%. If so, then it will run at 208 without a transformer. Just connect across any 2 legs. Check specifications.

If you need a transformer, then use a Buck/Boost. Sola link.
For your application, the smallest transformer from Sola will do. HS19B50.
This is a 50 VA, 24 Volt control transformer connected as an Autoformer.
Use connection diagram D1. See the PDF link "Buck-Boost Electrical Connections" on the same page.
It doesn't need to be Sola. Any control transformer will do.

Many 230 Volt machines are rated +5%/-10%. If so, then it will run at 208 without a transformer. Just connect across any 2 legs.

true to some point. there are +5%/-10% because of network fluctuation and different distances to transformer station and future consumer upgrades. so if 208 fluctuate you could get a problem.

See, that's what I get for typing out an answer quickly at the end of the day. Three phases, not three phase.;)

(y)

I think most knew what I meant even if I didn't express myself perfectly. Will have to work on that, I guess. :rolleyes:

This discussion of 120V three phase AC power jogs my memory back to the early to mid 1990's when Reliance Electric (independent then) came out with a PWM inverter powered by 120V single phase. Since there was no voltage doubler in it as there would be today, the output was 120V three phase and they made a series of motors that actually were 120V three phase rated just for these inverters. I never ended up selling or using one but one would have to wonder what kind of consternation would ensue if one of these motors surfaced today!

I think Reliance was aiming at the furnace and AC blower market with this product but I don't think they had any success with it. DC even now is still cheaper.