Trying to add HMI alarm in Wincc with TIA 13

stayclashy80

Hey Guys,

I'm trying to add an HMI alarm and can't get the trigger address to enter in the block. I'm new to all this so its probably something easy. I hit the green check box at the bottom but it doesn't enter the tag and goes back to displaying <No tag>.

M5 boxmaker vertical stacking rods stuck condition logic change.jpg

Try to add a MW or MD word instead of a bit.
The trigger bit is the bitno in the word.

edit: I notice that all the alarm bits are tagged with an individual tagname, i.e. Alarmword_200.x0, Alarmword_200.x1 etc
what is the address of these tags ?
I think this is a misunderstanding of how it works. Define just a word or doubleword, and then the triggerbit number refers to the individual bits within the word.

I use a DB array for alarms, and then have only one Tag of for example 64 datawords to have 1024 Alarms.

Another thing I notice in your first screenshot.
You have a direct condition for the alarm bit. If the condition is only active very shortly it will be a matter of random chance that the HMI gets to see the alarm bit being TRUE.
Think about that every alarm bit that the HMI is monitoring should be latched on (S) and then reset by another method, either a physical pushbutton or an akcnowledge bit from the HMI.

Last edited:
Very good information Jesper, thanks. I tried a MW and it still won't work. I tried a bunch of words and nothing would take into the box. I even tried words that were already existing and they wouldn't take either. It's like I'm not meeting conditions to be able to enter a value in the box. Do I have to be online with the HMI PC before it will let me change something in the program?

You try to add a new alarm with the text "Vertical stacking rod ... " ?
The existing alarms, i.e. "Door Not OK Zone 1" etc., works OK ?
If so, copy what has been done for these alarms.

edit: Create the HMI tag first, i.e. Alarm_word_110.
And point the HMI tag address to the PLC address MW110 as an absolute address.
Or create the PLC symbol "Alarm_word_110" = MW110. Then you can assign the HMI tag to the PLC tag by its symbol.
Then you can connect the HMI alarm to the trigger tag Alarm_word_110.

Last edited:
Thanks Jesper. I finally got it working. Your info was extremely helpful. I also found out my program has byte swapping when communicating between the HMI and PLC. So 200.0 in the HMI is actually 201.0 in the PLC. Of course now that I added all my logic and tested it and everything works I can't find my program saved anywhere. It only exists in the processor and so I've been told I can't upload to TIA portal because it will lose all the folder structure. Is there anything I can do or do I need to rewrite the code again. Also what am I supposed to do in the future to save the program. I heard someone say "Archive". I can't seem to save the program correctly. Thanks

1st save your best backup with a new name (!).

Then do an offline/online compare.
The comparison result will display a comprehensive list of the found differences. You can have TIA display the difference between offline and online in 2 code windows side by side.
So for every difference found you decide what to do, to keep the online or the offline version. The dialog allows you to easily copy the blocks in either direction. You can also just copy the changes manually.

When you are satisfied that you have a good offline program, save again, and then download to the cpu. You have then syncronized offline and online and can go online in the future without hitch.

Essentially, save frequently and always before you download a changed block.

Archiving is a way to pack the project in a single zipped file.

Store the archived project on a server.

Ok I finally got it going. So TIA portal kept crashing after I made all my changes and before I was able to save the project so that's why I kept losing the file. It happened to me 2 days in a row. Here's my finished product. Thanks for the help Jesper.

Condition logic for new alarm.png