Any kind of gateway to remap adresses ?

Jeff23spl

Hello
Do you know if there is some kind of basic gateway or device that could remap adressing to fit another device?

In that case we have a blown variable frenquency drive controlled using modbus RTU with controler that we cannot reprogram.
The drive model is phased out and even the new one from the same brand isn't receiving modbus commands at the same adresses.
I could probably use a plc with a modbus slave card to receive the old signal and provide the new one to the new VFD but i wonder if there is some low cost modules that could be designed to do that ?
thanks

I suspect you could put a Red Lion DataStation in there as a middle man...not the cleanest approach. I'd be inclined to find a repaired VFD of the older model as a temporary fix until I got access to that PLC program.

There are probably other devices that have similar functionality to the DataStation, and in any case you will at least have to use a unique IP address for this new VFD so that your "middle man" can occupy the old IP address and appear transparent to the PLC.

I wonder if a Click PLC could do what you want? I guess if it can receive data to the proper addresses, then constantly map those to user memory locations and with Send instructions write them to the VFD Modbus registers it would work. The details might bite you though, like what are the exact addresses the old PLC is writing to and do they conform to what your middle-man hardware will accept?

Red Lion DS:
https://www.redlion.net/products/in...ollers-and-data-acquisition/data-station-plus

I have not used these, but looks easy to set up:
https://spectrumcontrols.com/products/universal-gateway/

Doubt you can beat this price:
https://www.automationdirect.com/ad...(stackable_micro_brick)/plc_units/c0-10dd1e-d

Not 100% sure any of those devices can do the work until we know all the nitty gritty details.

EDIT: I just re-read "Modbus RTU", but wrote my post when my brain was thinking Modbus TCP from the master...Is it RS-485? If so, you would need the $160 Click.

Last edited:
What is sending/receiving the old signals, why not change that?

It is a controler made by the compressor company that include all logic and protections associated to the compressor and own sensors.
Not messing with it would have been an easier option.

Repairing the actual vfd cost more than a newer one, (serious damages)

And i just realize that a lot of systems will probably face this problem to be repaired when a vfd is connected using communication protocols....
The old shcool analog signal remain universal, you mainly just check space and amps to fit anything else....

In parralele we have seen new revisions of the same machine with newer vfd so the local compressor company is looking to see if there could be a firmware update to acomodate a new vfd.... but they also ask us to provide a solution without changing the controler...