Adding tags to existing logic 5000 controller

Robb B

Lifetime Supporting Member
I tried exporting the database, adding my approximately 300 lines of tags, then importing it back, but I've clearly missed something in the formatting, numerous errors regarding discarding import. Any pointers? I added the necessary rows before the rung comments section, and pasted the list, adding COMMENT to the beginning of each new row, should it have been TAG instead?

Make a new tag in Logix that you need, then export.

Find the new tag in the export, delete all other rows (except for the firs ~ 7 header rows). Use the single row as the template for all new tags. Then you are only importing new stuff and should minimize further troubleshooting should you need it.

That would work, except I need to keep the existing tags intact. I tried doing like you describe, by finding known tags and copying their format. I think I've got it sorted out, except that the name portion irks with its limitations (no spaces, max characters etc). I have to basically rewrite the description into the name, but shorten it and underscore the spaces.