Control Logix input

Screenshot

Ok. Everyone I was sent the PLC and I have some information to report back. You code is missing all comments which makes it very hard to interpret. If you look at ladder INPUTS_DPS Rung 0 the program moves the devicenet scanner input data to tag array I[10]. Without comments and without the RSNetworx .dnt file I have no idea where in this array the input you are looking for is. The entire file structure of the program is based on the 5/500 platform which makes this a huge headache. I hope you have comments or the RSNetworx file and we can help you out more. Screenshot posted below

image1.JPG

First zip your program, compress it to a .zip file.

Below the post reply entry box on your browser widnow select attach files (you might need to click the "Go Advanced" button first.) A file load window will open. Click the top 'choose file' button. Browse to the file on your computer, select it, the click the Upload button. After you are done uploading, click the 'close this window' button to return to your post. This will attach the program to your post so that we can see it an hopefully we can then help you.

The most you can do to help us, who are trying to help you for free, is to give us as much information as you know, hopefully at least a paragraph worth of information, instead of trickling it in one sentence at a time.

(edit) I see Matt posted while I was typing. Hopefully we can get the RSNetwork file.

Matt, can you expand the DN module in slot 2 to at least show the configuration?

610x.jpg

Last edited:
(edit) I see Matt posted while I was typing. Hopefully we can get the RSNetwork file.

Matt, can you expand the DN module in slot 2 to at least show the configuration?

There's nothing under the config. Standard module config and no Retworx file called out.

Here's screenshots of the DNB properties.

image2.jpg

Let me explain so you understand me better, I HOPE. Our company took over a support contract for a jail facility and what I post is what I upload from the PLC. That all I have. Question: If I upload the file from the PLC I should be able to get comments?

Let me explain so you understand me better, I HOPE. Our company took over a support contract for a jail facility and what I post is what I upload from the PLC. That all I have. Question: If I upload the file from the PLC I should be able to get comments?

No the PLC does not store comments. Also make sure the end user is ok with you asking for help on something like this. Commented code with this ladder may not be the best thing to be sending out. I hope maybe someone at your company may be better suited to assist you in this endeavor.

You can upload the RSNetworx file from the Devicenet scanner is you have RSNetworx for Devicenet on your computer.

I wondered... considering the source of the duress picture in my previous post.

If the controllogix program had been written for the CLX from scratch we would probably have meaningful tag names. Unfortunately, it looks like an imported SLC500 program and whoever did that did not apparently edit any tags to add descriptive information, otherwise an upload would have helped us with that information.

You say you took over the support contract. Who had the original support contract? Is it possible to speak with them? Were they obligated under the old support contract to furnish documentation? If so then where is it? If its missing then you may be able to demand it.

Do you have RSNetworx for DeviceNet? If so you can connect to the PLC and scan the device net network and upload the information from all attached nodes. Having that will help.

Last edited:
My Rx Logix is the lite version. Should it include RSNetworx? I'm dont think that the company that loose this contract is going to give us anything. It hapend before in another facility we took over.

There is no reference to "Turbo" on that page except that all the I/O memory specification has a "T" next to it's size. That refers to ....(from http://www.ab.com/en/epub/catalogs/12762/2181376/2416247/360807/1837516/tab4.html)

T The 1756-L6x controllers have nonvolatile memory if you install a 1784-CF64 CompactFlash card. With nonvolatile memory, the controller can be used without a battery. If you do not use a battery, current tag data will be at the state they were when the nonvolatile memory was saved.
And there is the following note...

The 1756-L6x controller executes ladder scans almost twice as fast as the 1756-L55 controllers and executes function block, REAL data type math, and motion instructions four to five times faster than the 1756-L55 controllers.
I think you are classing the -L6x series as "turbo", which I accept they are faster than the -L5x series, but I've never heard them called "Turbo" before.

While you are welcome here at the Forum and we aim to be of help to fellow automation professionals, I'm going to give you one of my less pleasant bits of advice.

Stop what you're doing, and get some help.

You're close, very close, to figuring out how the controller data is mapped in the system. But if you click just one wrong thing, you're going to erase the crucial "Scanlist Map" in the 1756-DNB and you'll be out to sea without a sail.

Rockwell Automation has an office in Tampa, just south of the airport, (813)289-5320. Call and talk to Jim Redifer or Patrick Barry and get a reference from them for an integrator or one of their own field guys to come out and just run you through how to upload with RSNetworx for DeviceNet software and explain the way the data maps from the network module into the controller.

Both RSNetworx and RSLogix are comparatively easy and straightforward software tools, but in your situation and for your application, I very strongly recommend that get qualified assistance. It will be far less costly, even in the short term, than making a mistake.

While you are welcome here at the Forum and we aim to be of help to fellow automation professionals, I'm going to give you one of my less pleasant bits of advice.

Stop what you're doing, and get some help.

You're close, very close, to figuring out how the controller data is mapped in the system. But if you click just one wrong thing, you're going to erase the crucial "Scanlist Map" in the 1756-DNB and you'll be out to sea without a sail.

Rockwell Automation has an office in Tampa, just south of the airport, (813)289-5320. Call and talk to Jim Redifer or Patrick Barry and get a reference from them for an integrator or one of their own field guys to come out and just run you through how to upload with RSNetworx for DeviceNet software and explain the way the data maps from the network module into the controller.

Both RSNetworx and RSLogix are comparatively easy and straightforward software tools, but in your situation and for your application, I very strongly recommend that get qualified assistance. It will be far less costly, even in the short term, than making a mistake.

This is the best advice I have seen given in a long time. If you screw up in RSNetwork you are done, finished. I screwed up the xc file and was dead until the original integragtor set things right for me. He then gave me some training and now, although not an expert, I manage in the software just fine.