RS 500 Import/Export Controller Ethernet Settings

theColonel26

Lifetime Supporting Member
Is there some hack or something to allow controller tthernet settings in RS 500 to be imported and exported. I have a work flow of saving my project as a .SLC running some scripts on it then re-importing it. The thing is every time I do this I have to reconfigure the IP Setting.

Just wondering if they is some way to make this a little easier.

Are you doing this offline, or uploading online with a script?

If online it may have to follow the SysComm's/Upload method, not just the Upload method.

If it's an offline project I think it should save/load the comm's settings unless something is interfering.

Well I maybe be online with it when I do a save, but I am not pulling it from the PLC by doing an "upload" if that is what you mean.

I do a save as Library Files (*.SLC) it saves the SLC, the SY5 and SY6 and the FIX and FX2

My script opens the SLC, and the SY6, modifies them, then saves them with a new name and copies the FIX and FX2 files to the new name as well.

Not sure what the FIX and FX2 files do though.

I don't keep the SY5 file because it seems to be redundant. Maybe an older format of the SY6 file?

when ever I open up my SLC files I get an error message stating File UK: *some number* already exists "do I want to overwrite them" I just click yes half a dozen times. I haven't figured out why it is do that.

if IP settings are indeed supposed to be saved with a SLC export then maybe something is getting messed up. So IP settings are supposed to be exported?

Last edited:
So first you say you are missing data. Then you say you are deleting a file that you don't think is needed ... What happens when you keep the file?

I just saved a 5/05 RSS file as a SLC library file in RSLogix500 ver 12 and then opened it.

There was NO channel configuration data imported by RSLogix, so I would say it's not your script - it is information that isn't exported to a SLC library file.

So first you say you are missing data. Then you say you are deleting a file that you don't think is needed ... What happens when you keep the file?
I just looked at the .Sy5 file and it is indeed redundant data to the SY6, It just has shorter number of characters per line in the description. That seems to be the only difference, and it had no references to and IP config. it is just a table of register descriptions.

I just saved a 5/05 RSS file as a SLC library file in RSLogix500 ver 12 and then opened it.

There was NO channel configuration data imported by RSLogix, so I would say it's not your script - it is information that isn't exported to a SLC library file.
:(

I actually created my first ever support ticket with Rockwell asking about this. How likely are help me? or are they more than likely going to tell me sorry that's your problem, not our problem?

Edit: Well now I am not sure I actually sumbited a ticket with Tech Connect Support or if I just Summited a question to be answer in the knowledge base.

Last edited: