RSLogix 5000 - Minor/Major revision differences?

harryting

Lifetime Supporting Member
Lately, me and my coworker run into issues with opening some 5000 files. With some V19 files, the splash screen pops up then.. nothing. This happens on computers that had no issue opening the very same files before. So anyway, I started to look on RA's site to see if there are newer revision available in case I have to remove and install and I found tons of version available.

I mean, just for V 20 there are 20.01.01, 20.04.00, 20.04.00, 20.04.02, 20.05.00

So, the questions I have is, is it generally better to get the latest minor revision?

Also, anyone else run into the same issue lately? I wonder if some Win10 update are causing the issues.

-

I haven't used V20 for a number of years. Think last time was V20.04 to fix some issues, but next jump was V24 (something) after that.

Minor revisions do fix things, but Rockwell may not poke out a good fix till the next major. Well, then they have to fix that... LOL

Thanks,

They took out 20.03 and 20.01 completely to save people the trouble but I still remember that whole fiasco.

Other than the 20.01 vs 20.03 part- when you install a newer minor revision it will overwrite the older minor rev of the same major rev.

So, unless you are unlucky enough to have either or both of those you should only have one installation of each major rev.

EDIT: Plus can't wait until rev 33 comes out in August with all its improvements being toted. (Just watched an hour video from the Michigan distributor about it and got a headache.)

Last edited:
EDIT: Plus can't wait until rev 33 comes out in August with all its improvements being toted. (Just watched an hour video from the Michigan distributor about it and got a headache.)

Did you see the part about the L8X Redundancy not supporting ControlNet? 🔨

Lately, me and my coworker run into issues with opening some 5000 files. With some V19 files, the splash screen pops up then.. nothing. This happens on computers that had no issue opening the very same files before. So anyway, I started to look on RA's site to see if there are newer revision available in case I have to remove and install and I found tons of version available.

I mean, just for V 20 there are 20.01.01, 20.04.00, 20.04.00, 20.04.02, 20.05.00

So, the questions I have is, is it generally better to get the latest minor revision?

Also, anyone else run into the same issue lately? I wonder if some Win10 update are causing the issues.

-

I know this doesn't answer your question but...........

If you could open. V19 before on the same pc last week and can't this week try drilling to you rs common folder under c:programs and find you V19 executable. Right click and select open as administrator. Navigate to project and see if it will open. If it does close it and try splash screen it should work. Maybe

So they were able to open on V19 before?
Before what?
Before you did some Win10 updates?
Was that your real question?
Yes, there have been anomalies between Win10 and Rockwell older versions.
I am having similar issues with Win10 version and Wonderware InTouch 2014R2

The various versions of Rockwell RSLogix5000 & Studio5000, it is usually better to update the minor revisions, cos they will have bug fixes, V20 being the exception cos they fixed it worse - that was a headache until V20.04 came out.

I know this doesn't answer your question but...........

If you could open. V19 before on the same pc last week and can't this week try drilling to you rs common folder under c:programs and find you V19 executable. Right click and select open as administrator. Navigate to project and see if it will open. If it does close it and try splash screen it should work. Maybe

Also, the newer releases of revisions 32, 26 & 20.05 you have to put in Compatibility Mode for Windows Vista SP2

Do this under the Change Settings For All Users.

Plus, if you set Logix Designer to run as Administrator you have to set Launcher to the same or it won't be able to open Designer.

So they were able to open on V19 before? I assume from the op first post.

Yes, there have been anomalies between Win10 and Rockwell older versions.

There have been several anomalies with all versions of RA software and Windows anything especially 64bit.

I am having similar issues with Win10 version and Wonderware InTouch 2014R2

Wonderware 2014R2 is not supported on W10. Went through that late last year. Hope your not using galaxy.

Also, the newer releases of revisions 32, 26 & 20.05 you have to put in Compatibility Mode for Windows Vista SP2

V32 in Vista SP2? Why?

Plus, if you set Logix Designer to run as Administrator you have to set Launcher to the same or it won't be able to open Designer.

Haven't had to do this the 50 or so times its been required to open a file from the "wonderful" launcher.

Haven't had to do this the 50 or so times its been required to open a file from the "wonderful" launcher.

As soon as I put Logix Designer as Administrator it popped up it needed authorization to run Designer it when I tried to open a project and it would not open Designer.

As far as Vista SP2 goes I could not open the newer 32, 26 or 20.05 at all until I found the KB article that said to run in Vista SP2 compatibility. I had no problem with 32.01, 26.00 or 20.04.