How to minimize the upload/download time on Logix controllers?

UDP doesn’t require an acknowledgement (ACK) that the packets arrived and will not resend dropped packets. This is good for many things like streaming music and video or rapid repetitive packets, but not so good for data transfer.

Oh nice!
So how do I turn it off?

Re: UDP

That was a joke I made, because your "Location" is Mars, which meant a light time transfer time, of a few seconds, for every message, which in turn would mean that a delay would be added for the built-in ACK for each and every packet if TCP is used, so a UDP-based protocol would work better, where there could be a different protocol e.g. send several packets and then ACKnowledge with a single packet for all of them, which would lessen the loss of time in a light time delay.

So I guess everyone here is not a "bit-head", and jokes are not so funny when they have to be explained, eh?

;)

That was a joke I made, because your "Location" is Mars, which meant a light time transfer time, of a few seconds, for every message, which in turn would mean that a delay would be added for the built-in ACK for each and every packet if TCP is used, so a UDP-based protocol would work better, where there could be a different protocol e.g. send several packets and then ACKnowledge with a single packet for all of them, which would lessen the loss of time in a light time delay.

So I guess everyone here is not a "bit-head", and jokes are not so funny when they have to be explained, eh?

;)

I thought it was funny enough to tell to my wife, who promptly gave me that "i'm glad you're happy, dear, but you're talking gibberish" eyebrow.

;)

I thought it was relative. On my home planet, Tor-Poul, out inter-planetary comm's are UDP.

This is incorrect, legacy comms dropped from the L8 redundancy only

I thought it was relative. On my home planet, Tor-Poul, out inter-planetary comm's are UDP.

I thought it was funny enough to tell to my wife, who promptly gave me that "i'm glad you're happy, dear, but you're talking gibberish" eyebrow.

I'm sorry I think I'm still in phase 2 of Dunning–Kruger.

Control_Conn has more but this will get you started... this is from page 3

• EtherNet/IP™
• ControlNet™
• DeviceNet™
• Data Highway Plus™
• Remote I/O
• SynchLink™
• Third-party process and device networks

https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/td/1756-td001_-en-p.pdf

More info here https://ab.rockwellautomation.com/P...s/ControlLogix/5580-Controllers#documentation

Also I am still waiting for that screen shot of 3mil tags, is this your location prox switches going to mars :)

Last edited:
Where are you guys getting this information?

I am currently implementing dozens of L8x controllers, utilizing the onboard Ethernet Port.

Based on the post above, can anyone clarify for sure that Rockwell is not discussing the elimination of this port - along with the USB port?

I'm sure that there would be a storm of angry developers out there if Rockwell committed to the removal.

I am currently implementing dozens of L8x controllers, utilizing the onboard Ethernet Port.

Based on the post above, can anyone clarify for sure that Rockwell is not discussing the elimination of this port - along with the USB port?

I'm sure that there would be a storm of angry developers out there if Rockwell committed to the removal.

The post above is very misleading, all restrictions above are for the L8x Redundancy only, no legacy changes for standard L8.