"Download" a program to a Allen Bradley PLC with out RS 500 or RS 5000?

theColonel26

Lifetime Supporting Member
Ok so I assume the answer is no, because it's AB. Other Manufactures have small utilities for this.

Is there any way I can "Download" a program to an Allen Bradley PLC without RS 500 or RS 5000?

Basically we have a lot of remote machine with Windows Panel PCs on them and would like to be able to update the program by copying it to the Panel PC and then "downloading" it to the PLC instead of directly from my Computer which has RS 500 and RS 5000 on it. I want to do this to minimize the chances of a "download" being interrupted and taking down a PLC.

These machines are connected with Cell Routers so their connections can be flaky.

Am I wrong is there a way?

The answer is no. There is no way to download to an AB PLC (nor any other brand that I'm aware of) without the development software.

Furthermore, the first step of downloading to an AB PLC (unlike some other brands) is to perform a memory wipe of the PLC. This has the advantage of ensuring that the PLC is perfectly in sync with the off-line code, but the disadvantage is that it stops the processor completely.

This could potentially cause your Cell Routers to hiccup, since they may lose contact with the PLC (or at least its data memory) while the download is in progress.

I thought one of the long-time guys here had written a utility to download SLC programs to the PLC.

A quick search of the forum didn't bring up a result, but I'll keep looking.

I thought one of the long-time guys here had written a utility to download SLC programs to the PLC.

A quick search of the forum didn't bring up a result, but I'll keep looking.
Aebeck, Thanks but that wouldn't help me as I deal with MicroLogix and CompactLogix.

The SLC 500 can load from a EEPROM memory cartridge like 1747-M13. But somebody has to save the program to it first and then you have to pull the battery and short the lead for 30 minutes, then it will load from the EEPROM.

For ControlLogix I thought there was a way to make it load from the SD card?

Aebeck, Thanks but that wouldn't help me as I deal with MicroLogix and CompactLogix.

I left off 'MicrLogix" with the SLC. They are the same family and use the same software, DF-1 driver and protocols.

Plus, looking at the link to Archie's program it also uploads and online monitors, and does it for PLC 5's too.