How to minimize the upload/download time on Logix controllers?

PreLC

Hello PLCS.net!

I have multiple PLCs in our plant, and some of them even the new L8 series processors.

I had a question about upload times. Is there a way to optimize this? I have set up multiple drivers in my RSLinx(Configured to startup in automatic AKA on-demand mode). This has not helped.

I have upto 3 million tags in some of my PLCs(Unfortunate, but a system built up over 20 years)...

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
-PreLC.

If you are using DF-1 RS-232 comm's, even at the highest baud rate such a download would take quite a while.

If the CLX has Ethernet downloading over that would be faster. If it is an old card that only supports 10M it will take 10x longer than a newer 10/100 card. If you can find a GB Ethernet card that will be 10x faster - if your PC port supports it.

[Rant about DF-1:]

I have one old machine with a PanleView1000 with DF-1 comm's that takes over 20 minutes to upload or download and have suggested to the customer upgrading to Ethernet, but so far it's a "that's a big cost for a running machine" thing.

I just checked Rockwell's literature

All AB Ethernet IO cards are 10/100

5570 PLC's with Ethernet are 10/100

5580 PLC's are 10/100/1G

EDIT: But if you upgrade to a version 33 CPU coming in August you lose DeviceNet and some other capabilities if your system uses them.

Last edited:
xxx.png

Well, you could start by upgrading your Deep Space Network telemetry contract to use the 70m instead of the 34m antennas.

Also switching to UDP to eliminate the light-time lost in ACKs.

Other than that I'd say you are probably stuck.

;)

But seriously, do any of the PLCs have an SD card? Maybe a manual copy to that would be quicker than babysitting an upload?

5580 PLC's are 10/100/1G

EDIT: But if you upgrade to a version 33 CPU coming in August you lose DeviceNet and some other capabilities if your system uses them.
Does V33 include a New Studio Designer version too? I assume yes?

Any news on what new features will be there? I have tried to find info on it by googling but I can't find anything.

I have upto 3 million tags in some of my PLCs
-PreLC.

BdX5Gy2CMAAbfoc

If you are using DF-1 RS-232 comm's, even at the highest baud rate such a download would take quite a while.

If the CLX has Ethernet downloading over that would be faster. If it is an old card that only supports 10M it will take 10x longer than a newer 10/100 card. If you can find a GB Ethernet card that will be 10x faster - if your PC port supports it.

[Rant about DF-1:]

I have one old machine with a PanleView1000 with DF-1 comm's that takes over 20 minutes to upload or download and have suggested to the customer upgrading to Ethernet, but so far it's a "that's a big cost for a running machine" thing.

I have ethernet comms.

5580 PLC's are 10/100/1G

I have one L85e PLC at my plant, with no bottlenecks to gigabit. But I still have slow upload speeds.
The upload speeds should be based on the processors memory, right? So if I have a PLC with 40MBs of memory, it should take no longer than let's say, like 2 minutes right? I have L73 PLCs which take upto 15-20 minutes for uploads, no errors on the en2t cards.

View attachment 54804

Well, you could start by upgrading your Deep Space Network telemetry contract to use the 70m instead of the 34m antennas.

Also switching to UDP to eliminate the light-time lost in ACKs.

Other than that I'd say you are probably stuck.

;)

DSN needs some work I agree, if only IT was on the same page as me o_Oo_O

About the UDP part, how do you do that?

DSN needs some work I agree, if only IT was on the same page as me o_Oo_O

About the UDP part, how do you do that?

UDP doesn’t require an acknowledgement (ACK) that the packets arrived and will not resend dropped packets. This is good for many things like streaming music and video or rapid repetitive packets, but not so good for data transfer.