(ILC 151) Help visualizing process variables over the network

Dear all,

I'm new to the PLC world and I was tasked with collecting process data from a PhoenixContact ILC 151 PLC into an SQL database for later reference and visualisation. The only problem is that I don't know how to retrieve such data from the controller over the network. The datapoints would only need to be collected once every 4/5 minutes. I know phoenix contact created a function block for PCWORX to directly insert data in MSSQL servers but sadly this requires a licence on each controller.

I hope some of you have some insight. Thank you in advance.

Best Regards,
Matt.

Kepware (Kepserver Ex) have an OPC server that can connect via Modbus and it also has the ability of connecting directly to an SQL Database. you set up the communications into tags, then use events to log the data directly to the SQL DB. You can download a fully functional demo that runs for 2 hours without a licence Not sure what the licence costs are & if you need both one for the plc driver & one for the SQL logging but a driver license (a few years ago) used to be about £800.00,

No budget, how much time do you have? A recent post concerning detecting phones over Bluetooth using node red piqued my curiosity. I was able to make it work easily, and discovered a whole new world of possibilities. I was able to take that data and put it in an opt ua server running in node red so that Ignition could see it, and push it into a separate ms sql database also using node red. All of this was done on a $60 rpi. Haven’t tried it, but nodered.org says it will run on windows. Was also able to set up a modbus tcp server on the same rpi in a matter of minutes and poll that same data from multiple clients.
The pandemic has had a couple of unexpected benefits....

Don't know the PLC.

This page says it supports SQL or MySQL protocols:
https://www.phoenixcontact.com/online/portal/gb?uri=pxc-oc-itemdetail:pid=2700974&library=gben&tab=1

So really you question is how to use the SQL function of this particular PLC rather than a general PLC to SQL question.

https://blog.phoenixcontact.com/mar...6/11/52004726_EN_DE_Easy_Automation_LoRes.pdf
This mention Function Blocks, see sheet 12.

Rereading your post you don't want to use it because of cost.

Back to plan B.

Last edited: