OT: Alternating relay 24vdc coil

OkiePC

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a need for an alternating or ratcheting relay with 24vdc coil. Each time the coil fires, the relay needs to switch states. I found one made by Time Mark (261DX-24), but my purchasing agent asked for a different make . . . apparently it's a very long lead item.

This thing needs to be as compact as possible to fit inside an OEM enclosure, and the contacts are used for low power 24vdc solenoid coils, so about any contact rating should work.

Thanks,
Paul

Omron and many other manufactures have latching relays if you only want 2 positions - latch - unlatch. They are pretty inexpensive. For 2 positions there is generally no need for a ratchet relay.

Bob, I think Okie needs a device with an output contact that changes from OFF to ON to OFF, repeating each time the 24 VDC coil is triggered by an input switch. The alternating function could be wired with 2 or more relays (the old "toggle" function, but he would like it in one small neat package).

This is what he needs, except a brand that his purchasing agent will accept. Someone buy him one of these and ship it! (GIT, Paul needs your help!)
http://www.time-mark.com/Alternating-Relays-Model-261.aspx?cp=0&ps=2&CategoryID=6

Paul, contact this Time Mark sales representative:
WAYNE G. PARKER CO.
Jenks, OK
tel 918 299-5026
fax 918 299-6747
[email protected]
www.waynegparker.com

Last edited:
Thanks for the help, guys. It appears we have the TimeMark unit ordered now, my parts guy just didn't look in the right spot for a local distributor.

Lancie's description above is correct. An OEM built a machine for us but sort screwed up one part of the design a little bit and the alternating relay would simplify their design and eliminate a couple of failure prone parts.

Their design uses a single output from a proprietary controller to operate one of two solenoids. They did this by wiring the single output through two proximity switches and then to each coil. Only one switch should ever be on at a time. The switches are 12mm with a 2mm sensing distance and mounted in a poor spot, so they have sheared off the ends of the switches about 6 times in 3 years. The OEM doesn't seem willing to change their software to use two outputs (they have 6 spares) so the alternating relay thing is a band-aid, but for this small bleeding wound, it's not a terrible place to apply one.