FT View Studio Add a Button

jthornton

Here's the steps I took and I hope someone can see where I missed a step.

Used the Application Manager Restore Application onthe .apa file

Open the project in FactoryTalk View Studio - View Machine Edition.

Add a Goto Configure Mode button to the main screen.

Test Application and see the button.

Create Runtime Application.

Use an autoexec.bat file to copy the .mer file from the PV6 to my USB drive and delete the .mer file on the PV6. Delete all files from USB drive.

Put the new .mer file on my USB drive in \Application Data\Rockwell Software\RSViewME\Runtime and boot up.

When FactoryTalk View ME Station pops up go to Terminal Settings, File Management, Copy Files, Copy Application. Source External Storage 2 (my USB drive). Destination Internal Storage the Copy.

When I power down and remove the USB then power up I get the original screen without my new button.

Thanks
JT

After copying the file to the PV, load it.

I don't usually bother deleting what is on the PV through any sort of scripting. I always do that myself manually if and when I need the space.

My guess is that it isn't deleting the application currently running so the PV just reloads the same application because it was never told to load the new one.

OG

You don't HAVE to delete it. The PV can store the old application and your updated version. You just have to specify which one it should run.

The internal storage is like a hard drive. You can store multiple revisions on the system. It is not required to delete previous versions. Of course, you might want to delete old versions. But nothing in the hardware requires it.

OG

I have noticed that when you load a new application, but still have an old one, if you restart the Panelview you get the old application running.
To deal with this you must
1. Load the new application
2. Go to startup and select goto config, hit ok
3. Go to startup again and then select run the application loaded, hit ok.
This way when you restart the panelview it will load the new application

This is necessary when you load an application manually at the PV terminal. When you use the transfer utility to download the application there is a checkbox to make this assignment.

OG

In case anyone runs into the same new to PanelView and the tools are a bit overwhelming at first this is what I did to add a Goto Configuration Mode button.

Start FactoryTalk View Studio and run Tools > Applications Manager and restore the compressed .apa project file.

Open up the Display I want to add that button and in Objects > Advanced click on Goto Configure Mode and draw the button on the Display.

Go to Application > Create Runtime Application... and save the run time application to a file.

Start up RSLinx and run the Ethernet IP driver.

Go to Tools > Transfer Utility > Download Tab and select the Source file. Destination storage type Internal Storage. Select Run application at start-up. Select the PanelView from the Destination Terminal then select Download.

JT

Put the new .mer file on my USB drive in \Application Data\Rockwell Software\RSViewME\Runtime and boot up.

Hi,

Just to add, I don't believe that you have the correct path here..

It should be just "[Drive]\Rockwell Software\RSViewME\Runtime"..

See technote QA5202 (if you have TechConnect)

Hi,

Just to add, I don't believe that you have the correct path here..

It should be just "[Drive]\Rockwell Software\RSViewME\Runtime"..

See technote QA5202 (if you have TechConnect)

I don't have access to technotes but there seems to be at least a couple of paths that were used depending on the firmware used and the model of the PanelView. That path is correct for the one's that I needed to work on.

JT

Best method: copy an application from the terminal to a USB drive and let the PV create the directory structure. This assumes of course that there is an existing application to copy.

Best method: copy an application from the terminal to a USB drive and let the PV create the directory structure. This assumes of course that there is an existing application to copy.

This is what I do as well if I need to transfer a file via USB drive.

That option only exists if the programmer left you a way to go to the configuration mode. In our case the programmer didn't put that button anywhere so it was either use the Transfer Utility (which was fast and easy) or use an autoexec.bat file and delete the mer file from the PV so it would boot to the configuration mode.

JT

Unless the PV is very, very old (FW < 4), there is a way. First there was a white box on the screen during booting that took you to configure mode. More recent versions (Plus) allow access to a maintenance menu with a USB keyboard plugged in at power up.

Unless the PV is very, very old (FW < 4), there is a way. First there was a white box on the screen during booting that took you to configure mode. More recent versions (Plus) allow access to a maintenance menu with a USB keyboard plugged in at power up.

The USB keyboard method is only for the PV+ 6 and newer. Previous revs of the PV+ (up through v5.1) used the white box method for touchscreen units, and you used the F1 key on keypad only units.

OG