Allen-Bradley older hardware resiliency

The chains are cool, as well as
The white alligator jumper on card 1
that looks like it has been there since commissioning day :)

From what I found out, it's been a mess from day 1, which was 25 years ago. Notice how the analog and thermocouple wires are routed?

The President/CEO of this operation told me he was the one who put the alligator clips on. External devices failed, they never replaced them, and this was the solution. Jumpers all over the place bypassing other devices that have failed over the years.

Last edited:
Worked in an automotive plant that used PLC-5/15's controlling lifters and various types of equipment. Dozens of them and only had to replace because of upgrades. Over 20 years of service and never had one fail, power supplies yes but not the controller.

I'm sure there are thousands upon thousands of PLC5s still out there chugging along with no issue. Currently working on replacing a PLC5 processor with a ControlLogix to upgrade the comms to Ethernet/fiber, but the existing PLC5 I/O racks are staying. Why fix what ain't broken?

I bet the CLX will not last that long, it seems some don't work when you take them out of the box.🔨

I had a lunchbox Compactlogix that bricked itself 20 minutes after I took it out of the box. Distributor actually drove another one to me. Second one's been fine for 3 years now.

We still have nearly 35 SLC-500 PLCs and as many PV550s running - with occasional support from Mark! (Thanks)(y)

Still have a few 1305 VFD's that look like that, keypad hanging upside down by the cable
& a couple of SLC 500's power supplies & end plates
We have many 1305 and 1336 drives in that condition. 20+ years old still work great. Just don't try to fix or touch the cracked faceplate or it will disintigrate.

Lots of 25+ year old original PLC-5's.

Still a suprising amount of 35 year old 1771 power supplies, racks, and IO cards. Many 1770-KF2 modules still ticking along.

Meanwhile POINT and FLEX sometimes don't even last to the end of commissioning.

Though I've had good luck with Control Logix processors.