What is the oldest PLC system you have running?

Just remembered a couple more a Ferranti system the plc controller & I/O blocks took up 4 double wardrobes where our S5 took one, we used the other wardrobes & replaced the I/O boards with Harting plugs & sockets pre-wired to the plc cabinet for a quick one day changeover. and another was some Swedish thing where the date was 1973, it had I/O boards where the analogue chips were metal top hat IC's with 6 or 8 legs, could not do anything as no idea who the actual Mfr. was, however, managed to find that one of these was faulty, replaced it with a spare channel (fortunately these were plug in).
http://www.sattcontrol.se/sida/sida3_1_1.php?select=meny3_1
Might have been an old PBS?

Oldest still running is 2 machines with AB PLC 2/16's.
Last year we replaced a Texas Instruments model 305, that we pulled the program out of using the embedded hand terminal.
Also replaced a GE Fanuc 90-30 last year.
Prior to that we replaced the AB PLC 2/30 dinosaur.

The TI305 was a rebadged Koyo,was previously marketed by General Electric as the Series One.They are still available through Automation Direct.

Wrong model - my apologies. The Hitachi ones were the ones I meant - cannot remember the model numbers now - too long ago. They were a black box I think.

Replaced a few of these old Moog Parison Controllers now, guy in Ireland had 6 Blow Molders with them on and they all started to fail at the same time. These were from an old Graham Engineering 10-Head Blow Molder. Fascinating to watch, but all done so easily in a PLC and HMI these days.

Last one we did was a water cooler bottle manufacturer in the States, he spent 6 months looking for someone to take it on and found us in the UK.
We were 7 days into a 2 week job and had to fly back to the UK because of the Covid-19, I managed to complete the job via the E.WON and some web cams the customer had bought, placed around the machine and a great many hours talking with the customer on Whatsapp.

Capture.png

Vid for the full flashing light effects: https://youtu.be/aHv2WKJlSng

Not strictly a PLC however we had a customer running a few of our machines using an S100 buss type PDP11 system.

I go to a National grid, gas fired electricity power station that produces megaWatts of electricity.
They have a Toshiba plc (EX40 with extensions) running the gas and air valves - like a huge carburettor.
I have offered to upgrade it many times but they have a spare. Anything goes wrong with it, they swap it out and send the faulty one to me to repair.

We have a 650T ( Yes 650 Tons) winch with controls that pre-dates PLC's. still using control components and pressure sensors etc from 1974' ish.....

We have a plan to replace this in 2022, but still in use

I think Modicon was one of the first controllers it was designed by Dick Morley it was made up of "MOdular DIgitial CONtroller." I believe these were in use in the very late 60's I replaced one that was fitted in 1972 (I think), it was replaced in 1997 with a Mitsubishi A series.

Not strictly a PLC however we had a customer running a few of our machines using an S100 buss type PDP11 system.

Ah yes. We ... replaced .. 4 pdp 11/03 (I think) that were actually mounted on mobile platforms (pallet stackers) ... the supervisory system was a PDP 11/70

I had forgotten about that. That was likely installed about the time that the original Allen Bradley Black Box PLC was released (1977-ish?)

Thanks for the walk down memory lane!

Wasn't DEC one of the two companies, the other being Bedford Associates, that responded to GM Hydramatic's "proto-PLC" RFP ca. 1968?

Perhaps it's an urban legend, but I heard that Bedford was chosen over DEC to keep GM IT out of the process, because, if DEC were chosen, then it would be a computer purchase.

Last edited: