1756-DHRIO Code 16#0108 Connection Type Multicast/Unicast Not Supported

jeffh1973

Hi Guys
I have a Logix L81 CPU FW 32.011, and a 1756-DHRIO FW 7.003 in local rack. I am trying to talk to a Metler Toledo JagXtreme scales unit on CHA of the DHRIO using RIO. I have set up the RIO-ADAPTER module on CHA with the correct baudrate, rack address, start group and Racksize. Everything looks setup fine.
I am getting "Code 16#0108 Connection Request Error:Connection Type (Multicast/Unicast)not supported" error on the RIO-ADAPTER.
I have tried heaps of different things with no luck. The DHRIO Card looks happy. The DHRIO card is exact match to whats in my IO Config. Almost like the CPU is unhappy with the DHRIO card.

Also in the local rack is a EN2TR talking to point IO rack on its own local DLR network.

I have 2 separate PLCs trying to talk to their own Scales unit and are mis behaving the same.

There is an identical system setup beside it with a L61 CPU and is working fine.

Desperately need help on what to try next.
Thanks in advance I hope.

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

Double-check the rotary switches on the DHRIO to be sure they are set for RIO instead of DH+.

That error code is misleading but I know it will appear (on the Adapters too !) if the DHRIO rotary switches are configured incorrectly.

Thanks Ken.
Both rotary switches are set to position one (RIO).
The bottom rotary switches I presume are for address if using DH. I have not touched these.
I did see a tech note suggesting to check this.

Rotary switches can be finicky; When I "verify" them I always move them a couple of clicks then back to their desired position.

That's the usual reason for that error code; the controller is trying to make a RIO scanner connection to the module and it's being rejected because the modules is set to run DH+ on that channel.

Can you try setting the software to DH + and connecting to a DH+ network to see if *that* mode works ? Or swapping out a DHRIO module from a working system ?

There is a bug in version 32.011. Some how when you add the RIO Rack under the DHRIO card the Software Enables Unicast or Multicast by default with no way to disable it. The only way is to export the project to .L5k, scroll down to your RIO rack and where it says Multicast or Unicast delete yes and type no. Save the file and create a new project from import .L5K file. I will post some screen shots to further explain.

This is the Project Saved as a .L5K file.
You can see there is a 1771-ASB Module from Channel A RIO with Unicast = Yes
This should be NO.

DHRIO Unicast.JPG

Awesome info; I didn't know about that with v32 !

I've had corrupted I/O entries before, years ago with the DHRIO because of something that screws up when you make a change after accepting the defaults, but not that specific thing.

Wow. JMedows you are a life saver the l5k solution worked. This is a nasty bug. I glad I only lost one nights sleep over this. I was almost ready to start mowing lawns for a job.
I have a case with Rockwell so will try and explain it to them.
Also thanks Ken for your input.

Tell me about it. I worked on it for over a week before fixing it. I was lucky that I had the time and wasn't on a Deadline.
Just glad i could help. I have gotten a bunch over the years from this site.

I don't think Rockwell has put out a TECH note on it yet. I don't really no how to report this to them. This can cause a big headache.🔨🔨🔨

From rockwellautomation.custhelp.com, click submit a question below the search bar. I'm 2 for 2 on submitting bugs that way.

You saved my Bacon.

Same occurred in Ver 30

This one can be a real worry

+1
Just had my own experience with this today on a V30 FW 1756-L82E processor. Once again, THIS FORUM has been a blessing beyond belief!!! :site: (y)