24VDC Snap switch

Rson

So I have some Rosemount 8712 Flow transmitters that require a local disconnect. They are rated 24VDC - about 1A.

This is an explosion proof environment, and the customer recommended Crouse-hinds switches - of which I found the snap switches.

https://www.cesco.com/resources/pdf_467/ID-BRO-v1-eds-efd-snap-switch.pdf

All I need is a single-pole disconnect - but I notice these only have ratings for AC. I know AC and DC circuit breakers work differently, but this appears to be just a switch. I shouldn't have any issues hooking one of these up to a transmitter, right?

What is the area classification?
Class 1, 2, 3? what division?
what hazardous chemicals?
you must use a switch rated for the area classification and for use with the chemicals.
james

I know the switch is rated for the environment - I'm more concerned about the switch only showing AC ratings - nothing for DC.

Those are manual motors starters, so you would have to add OL heaters to make them work, overkill for a simple switch.

Just buy the cover and box alone, the switches inside are just standard toggle switches, get one with a DC rating on them.
https://www.leviton.com/en/products/12021-2i

And FYI, DC rated switches are a little different internally. DC makes the arc last longer, so they have to have a little magnet inside of the arc chute (magnetic blow-out) to interrupt the current flow without burning the contacts.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies so far.

This is a class I div I Group C&D I believe. I know it isn't group B.

I'll double check at the office tomorrow.