1756 ENBT "Unrecognized Device" in VMWare Workstation

bamconner

Good Evening All,

I'm having a bit of trouble getting my 1756-ENBT to be fully recognized on my Windows XP SP2 Vmware Workstation virtual machine. My system configurations are below:

Host PC:
Windows 10 with VMWare Workstation
Static IP 10.9.16.214
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
1756-ENBT/A connected to laptop's ethernet port
1756-ENBT is visible in RSLinx on host as it should be
RSLinx Classic Lite version 4.11

1756-ENBT/A
Firmware 4.008
IP 10.9.16.212
Subnet 255.255.255.0

Virtual Machine
Windows XP SP2
Static IP 10.9.16.210
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
RSLinx Classic Pro Version 3.60
1756-ENBT/A visible on both ETH-1 and ETHIP-1 as "10.9.16.212, Unrecognized Device, 1756-ENBT/A", just the yellow ?, no red x
Right clicking and selecting device properties gives me accurate device properties.
Virtual network adapter set to be bridged
Can ping both Host and 1756-ENBT/A from virtual machine
Can see the 1756-ENBT's web page in browser at 10.9.16.212

I also was sure to try uploading the EDS file from the device via ETH-1, ETHIP-1, and I downloaded the EDS file from rockwell and tried to add is with the EDS Hardware Installation Tool.

I should also note that when the 1756-ENBT/A is plugged directly into a laptop with the same OS (WinXP SP2) and RSLinx version same RSLinx software version (RSLinx Classic Pro Version 3.60), etc. I can see the 1756 ENBT and the backplane with other components that it is connected to.

I'm not sure where to troubleshoot next..I am hoping the bright minds of this forum may have some insight.

If I've left any important info out please ask and I'll be more than happy to provide.

My apologies, what is it that should be uploaded from the working laptop and installed on the virtual machine?

What is your network connection to the device or are you usb to ethernet direct connect to the ENBT card (and the VM owns the usb device)?

What is the error you get when you open RSLinx and try uploading the eds file from the ENBT card?

Do you have another ENBT card around you could try getting the EDS file from?

If your connection is using the ethernet card from the host to the VM, try making your VM NAT first and then Bridge and set a good static IP address for the VM that isn't the HOST.

Finally, can you ping this ENBT card from the VM? (This really should be first, but my troubleshooting skills at night go out of order.)

Final final, have you rebooted the VM? (yeah... way out of order)

VAN, thanks so much for your response, my answers are below in red

What is your network connection to the device or are you usb to ethernet direct connect to the ENBT card (and the VM owns the usb device)?
I'm not sure i understand this question completely. I have an ethernet cable running from my ENBT card to the ethernet port on my host,I have set my host's ethernet connection properties for that port to be static with the IP address and subnet I detailed in my first post. My VM network settings are set to bridged and I have set the static IP and Subnet mask as described in my original post. Is there something I'm missing?

What is the error you get when you open RSLinx and try uploading the eds file from the ENBT card?
No error, it appears to upload the eds successfully and the eds file ends up in the EDS file under RSCommon with today's date in the "Date Created" field

Do you have another ENBT card around you could try getting the EDS file from?
Unfortunately I do not

If your connection is using the ethernet card from the host to the VM, try making your VM NAT first and then Bridge and set a good static IP address for the VM that isn't the HOST.
I'll have to do fiddling around with VM network settings and report what I find. This is the area that I am finding I am less familiar than I thought..

Finally, can you ping this ENBT card from the VM? (This really should be first, but my troubleshooting skills at night go out of order.)
I can ping the ENBT from the VM with the configuration I described in my first post. I can also view its web page from my ie browser when I enter its IP address. I can ping my host as well and can also ping my VM and ENBT from my host maching

Final final, have you rebooted the VM? (yeah... way out of order)
Haha, no problem. I have rebooted the VM and host a number of times, uninstalled RSLinx and reinstalled on the VM

Bornwild
I have tried both the ETH and ETHIP drivers, same result in both - picks up the IP address, but has a yellow question mark and says "10.9.16.212, Unrecognized Device, 1756 ENBT/A.

Quick update. It seems like this is an EDS issue. When I upload the EDS file form the device it appears that it loads correctly and the file ends up in the EDS folder under RSCommon.

I just noticed that when I open the Hardware Installation Tool the "Remove" button is grayed and there is a note at the bottom that says "There are currently no devices in our database".

When I check my reference physical laptop that this VM was based on, the "Remove" function is not grayed and the note about no devices is not there.

Screenshot of Hardware Installation Tool added as well.

Anyone seen something like this?

Hardware Installation Tool Screenshot.PNG

One more note, I just tried uninstalling RSLinx (along with the EDS manager utility) and reinstalling. During the installation I got the error attached in the screenshot below.

Unable to Install EDS Files.PNG

You have a support contract?

I think you can go download all the EDS profiles from Rockwell's website. Might try just install all of the EDS profiles. You might be having an administration issue with your VM and you can always blow away your VM and start over from your backed up VM (It's always a good idea to make a fresh backup of your VM after installing all your software, then you always have a quick starter VM.).

You have a support contract?

I think you can go download all the EDS profiles from Rockwell's website. Might try just install all of the EDS profiles. You might be having an administration issue with your VM and you can always blow away your VM and start over from your backed up VM (It's always a good idea to make a fresh backup of your VM after installing all your software, then you always have a quick starter VM.).

There is no need for contract support to download EDS files. Attached are some EDS files with diffrerent versions to try.

Your early post was confused at best.

You should probably set IP address inside VMware and not at the host since it's bridge. Also generate MAC address.

bamconner said:
...Unrecognized Device, 1756-ENBT/A", just the yellow ?, no red x...

...I also was sure to try uploading the EDS file from the device via ETH-1, ETHIP-1, and I downloaded the EDS file from rockwell and tried to add is with the EDS Hardware Installation Tool...

...I just noticed that when I open the Hardware Installation Tool the "Remove" button is grayed and there is a note at the bottom that says "There are currently no devices in our database"...

...During the installation I got the error attached in the screenshot below (Unable to continue installing EDS files)...

All of your symptoms are mentioned in the following technote...

ID: BF25003 | Access Levels: TechConnect
EDS File Issue upon Upgrade/Install of RSLinx Classic or other Rockwell Software

There are several possible causes and solutions in that technote, so I do hope you can access it?

Regards,
George

Hey everyone, thank you for your replies.
After much troubleshooting, an upgrade from SP2 to SP3 fixed the issue, we are up and running now. Geospark, after looking at the technote you posted that solution appears to be number one, not sure how I missed that note during my original search.

Thanks again for the help!

That's good to hear my friend. I'm only sorry I wasn't about a little sooner after your initial post.

When I read the first likely cause I had checked on the PCDC as I knew there was a cut-off point for XP SP2/3 in around your RSLinx Classic v3.60. From memory the other day, I think v3.51 was the last version to support XP SP2? v3.60 & v3.74 support/require XP SP3. So you, alternatively, could have downgraded to v3.51 and left the OS at XP SP2.

RSLinx Classic v3.74 was the last to support XP anything. v3.80 onwards do not officially support XP.

Stay Safe!
G.

No problem at all. Interestingly enough, the physical laptop I have with XP SP2 has Linx 3.6 and runs it okay..not sure if it is because it was upgraded from a previous version or not but that was the reason I left upgrading until all my other options were spent.