Compatability between FTView6, PanelView 600 with firmware 3.1 and PLC L24ERQBFC18

Eoghan

Hello,
Am running my FTView 6 project from my PC.
Am connected to my PLC L24ERQBFC18. When I run 'Test Application' the screens are fine and allow me write & read to variables in PLC.

When I compile the FTView program I get the message attached below saying the panelView 600 with firmware 3.1 does not support the L24ERQBFC18.

The screen on panelview generate errors when I try access variables.

Is it really an upgrade to PanelView that I require - OR is there something false in my configuration?
Thanks,
Eoghan

*** Start RSLinx Enterprise Conversion Messages ***
WARNING: Unsupported device detected. Shortcut name = "plc". Device name = "TB1_Sonics". Description: The system has detected that a device type that was not supported in the requested version is referenced by a shortcut. If the system upon which this project is to be run has received a patch that adds support for this device type, then this situation will not cause any problems. Otherwise runtime errors will be detected and logged by the target system when it attempts to communicate to that device.
*** End RSLinx Enterprise Conversion Messages ***
Validation completed with warnings. The runtime application has been created.
CAUTION: Running this application might produce errors at runtime.

In most cases this only a warning, because the controller is one or two versions newer than the FactoryTalk View software's communication drivers (RSLinx Enterprise) recognizes.

But in some cases it's a problem and the PanelView terminal firmware needs to be upgraded.

The Test Runtime (the "running man" icon) uses the Runtime configuration, so if that works on your PC then it should also work on the terminal.

Be sure that the Communications Configuration is being written to on the terminal when you download; it's a checkbox in the Transfer Utility. Be sure also that the terminal has an appropriate IP address that can access the controller.

Version 3.1 firmware is very old... probably a 2004 release. Upgrades were tricky between 3.x and newer, because of issues in the way Microsoft licensed the Windows CE operating system. Check with RA Technical Support to see if an upgrade can be done.

What is the exact text of the error messages ?

This error is indicating that the PLC you are communicating with is new. It didn't exist when your version of software was released. Upgrading to a newer version might solve this, but even with this, I suspect that is not the cause of the errors you are seeing on the terminal.

I have seen this same message before and the application ran just fine. The errors you are seeing probably have to do with the communications not being able to locate the PLC.

When you went to RSLinx Enterprise and created your device shortcut did you also remember to click the "Copy from Design to Runtime" button?

When you have the application working in Test Application then you have successfully configured the "Design" portion in RSLinx Enterprise. When it fails to run in the PanelView it is typically because you never configured the "Runtime" portion of RSLinx Enterprise.

The Design is for testing on your laptop. It is how your PC communicates with the PLC. Your PC is effectively the PanelView at that point. The Runtime is what gets downloaded to the PanelView. The Runtime is how the PanelView talks to the PLC.

Make sure when you download to the PanelView that you choose to Replace RSLinx Enterprise settings.

OG

OG: Really ? I may have been wrong about this for years, then !

I know that Test Display, the little arrow "Play" button that runs just the one Display that you have open, uses the Development configuration in RSLinx Enterprise.

But I thought for sure that the Test Runtime (the "Running Man" icon) used the Runtime driver configuration.

It's likely not germane to the discussion, but thanks for bringing it up.

Have double checked that Design Config is copied to Runtime Config. I did a Reset Config & pointed to the PLC again.
Also checked the box to overwrite exiting communications during download & confirmed on PV Terminal Setting that the PLC device that that PV tried to communicate to is L24ERQBFC18

Am still not getting any communication from PV to PLC.

OK. Had to system for a little while.
I'm having a problem reading the error texton hmi - it'sformat is so small and blurred. is there any way I can configure the format of these error messages?

I'm looking at them and 'guessing' that they are saying connection errors to variables.

Ken,

The Runtime configuration is used anytime you create a .mer. Whether you run it locally in Station or download to the PV the runtime configuration is what gets used.

If you create a runtime and then run it in Station having never setup the runtime communications, comms will fail. Even if you run it on that same PC where it was developed.

The Test Application (running man) and the Test Display never actually create a .mer file. So they rely on the Design settings. They create a sort of temporary runtime but it is not saved.

OG

Let's make sure your device shortcut is making it into the PV terminal.
  1. At the PanelView go to Configuration Mode
  2. Goto Application Settings [F3]
  3. Select Device Shortcuts and ENTER
  4. Verify your shortcut is present.
  5. Select your shortcut and ENTER
  6. Verify the communcations path is correct for your PLC

OG

Hello OG,
Checked all PV to PLC settings and they were correct.
Eventually took a chance and upgraded PV to Version 5.1 Firmware & the connection errors disappeared.