A little Allen Bradley Help

rvitrih

Hi,

I am in the process of building a machine using Direct Automations products and EZ Touch HMI touch screen. I have been asked by another client to spec the machine using Allen Bradley Controls. I have not used any of the Allen Bradley stuff and I find there website veru confusing.

Is someone could spec ot provide some links for the Allen Bradley controller that I need. The requirements are provided below.

14 Thermocouples
3 4-20 mA Humidity Sensors
2 flowmeters
2 level switches
10 VFD - variable frequency drives
13 Motor soft starters

will require a communications module
also a 10 - 15" User Interface Touchscreen.

Thanks and greatly appreciated

Richard

Allen Bradley Help

Hi,

Thanks for the replies so far. There might be a little confusion in the post. I already have all the components I just need to know which Allen Bradley PLC would be suitable for this application and the required inputs and outputs that I have.

Thanks

Richard

I like the Control Logix for its ease of programming analog I/O. But that may hurt your bottom line a bit. How much I/O do you need (for the drives, etc.). Are you using any communications to talk to any of the devices (besides the HMI)?

It would be in your best interest to establish a relationship with your local AB distributor. You should have their PLC person come in and quote the hardware and software to do the job. If you're concerned they'll try to sell you more than you actually need, post the parts list here and people familiar with both product lines can evaluate the distributor's selection.

Please add some details:

...Is someone could spec ot provide some links for the Allen Bradley controller that I need. The requirements are provided below.

14 Thermocouples
3 4-20 mA Humidity Sensors
2 flowmeters
What signal(s) connect to/from the flowmeters?
2 level switches
10 VFD - variable frequency drives
13 Motor soft starters
What type of I/O do your drives and soft starters require?
will require a communications module
also a 10 - 15" User Interface Touchscreen.
Communications module for what?
How elaborate is your HMI? Does it need to be PC based?

Paul

Hi,

Thanks Steve, I have been in touch already and they are not able to come out until sometime next week. The reason for this post is that a client has been bothering me to give them a price with the allen bradley product. THe local supplier told me that if I email him a list of the controllers and modules that I need he could put together a quick quote for me. Hence the question here.

Thank

Richard

Hi,

Thanks for the replies so far. There might be a little confusion in the post. I already have all the components I just need to know which Allen Bradley PLC would be suitable for this application and the required inputs and outputs that I have.

Thanks

Richard

ControlLogix
CompactLogix
SLC500-series

Your pick. They will all work just fine.

rvitrih,

Have you asked your client if they have a preference? If they have the SLC or Micrologix lines then they might want to stay with those processors (hopefully the SLC considering your I/O). I generally stay away from any Micrologix other than the 1100 or 1400 due to the inability of the others to do online programming. If you have a choice then you want use the Logix platform. It by far the best platform AB has available. In fact I will venture out (with my head clearly on the chopping block here) and say that I believe it is the best platform available. I think just considering the I/O you have, the Compact Logix would be a good direction for you. You will need to look at your program requirements and other needs to determine if it will work. It is your best option for the money.

Also, I know the AB site can be a little hard to get around at first, but everything you need is there once you figure out how to get around. I have been thinking about doing a video on our PLCMentor site about that and I think your post may have pushed me into doing it sooner rather than later.

Russell

Hi,

Thanks Steve, I have been in touch already and they are not able to come out until sometime next week. The reason for this post is that a client has been bothering me to give them a price with the allen bradley product. THe local supplier told me that if I email him a list of the controllers and modules that I need he could put together a quick quote for me. Hence the question here.

Thank

Richard

Send him the list you posted above and have him put the hardware together.

What is your budget? That will help to define which platform to use...

Hi,

Budget will depend of the willingness of the customer to spend the money. To me its all the same which line of products I use. I have sent the list to the supplier, I was just hoping to get a little input from you guys so that I know what he is talking about.

Thanks

Richard

Get your customer to express a preference for either the SLC, Compact Logix, or Control Logix platform. Then send the distributor the bill of materials for the Automation Direct system and ask for a quick quotation on the equivalent system in the selected platform.

Tell your customer that you're not proficient enough in AB's offerings to be able to give him an off-the-cuff quotation. Refer him to my avatar if he persists. It sounds like he's looking for good and fast. That won't be cheap. If he's actually looking for fast and cheap tell him that won't be any good.

I think the only resistance you have here is for anyone to jump right in and say definately use 'this' without fully understanding your project requirements. From your I/O count a compact logix will work. For communications, it has Ethernet I/P built in and you could use that to talk to all your drives and possibly a Panelview operator interface (say a 1000+). I can throw out stuff like that, but I dont want to do you a diservice by telling you to use something without understanding all ther parameters. Try this location on rockwell's site:

http://www.rockwellautomation.com/en/e-tools/

You can plug a part number in there or drill down to the pieces you need. The menu on the left has an option menu library that will get you to a place where you can put part numbers or descriptions into a search box to get literature. A lot of cat numbers will come up, but you will probably be looking for user manuals. Feel free to plug back with any further questions.

Russell