AB Compact LOGIX 1768-L43 to Balluff IO-Link

reidyj

Hi Guys,

On work experience from college at the moment and this site has been helping me a lot! But I'm totally stumped on this one and need to ask a question!

I have a AB Compact LOGIX 1768-L43.
IT has a 1768 E-Web/A Ethernet card in it.

I have a Balluff BNI EIP-502-105-Z015 Io-link card which communicates over ethernet.

So as far as I can work out the procedure for adding it to Rs Logix goes as follow's:

When offline go to
-I/O configuration
-Right click my ethernet card
-"Add Module"
and add a generic ethernet device and so on.

where my problem lies is that "add new module" is greyed out, even when offline.

As part of my investigation I added the standard ip card 1768 ENBT/A, the option is not greyed out in that case.

So, is what I'm trying to do not compatable with the E-Web card or am I missing the point somewhere. I'm told some one got this to work here before with the same set up...

Any ideas, I hope I've given enough info, if theres anything missing just ask!

Cheers

J

The -EWEB modules are a "web services" Ethernet module, which allows unscheduled messaging as well as web server, e-mail, and open sockets Ethernet services.

To make room for those extra services, the cyclic I/O exchange feature was removed from the module.

The -ENBT modules are the ordinary I/O and controller messaging modules, which is why the I/O connection is available for that module.

If you really want to appear clever, we might be able to make the -EWEB work using explicit messaging. Is this a test of skill and wit, or a real industrial application ?

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the reply, I had suspected there was something different in the modules alright. I tried with a control logix with a standard ethernet card with no problem after I had posted here as a sanity check.

Its not directly for an industrial application, It was more of a feasability study to see if the Balluff was up to the task for a job we're working on.

I would be interested in a rough idea of the approach using explicit messaging.

Cheers

James