FactoryTalk View Studio ME Test Application

skeleton_bob

Until recently I was using the Test Application feature of FTVSME (6.10.00 on Windows 7 32-bit) just fine. It would simply run the application on my laptop screen, no questions asked.

Now, for reasons unknown, when I do this it opens FactoryTalk View ME Station and makes me load an application by selecting a runtime file. I try to but it just moans that it can't load it and offers no explanation why.

What have I done? How can I make it go back to how it used to be (preferably without uninstalling everything and reformatting my hard drive)?

Assuming Windows 7 or 8, are you launching Studio as an administrator? I had the issue earlier this year and that solved my problem.

I tried opening both Studio and Station as an administrator, neither made any difference.
I even tried uninstalling FTVSME and re-installing, but this didn't help either.

In something approaching desperation I called Rockwell tech support, and they gave me a detailed and laborious uninstallation procedure to properly clear out all the file and registry debris that Rockwell leave behind when merely removing FTVSME via Windows. Then re-install again.

This would appear to have worked. Seems I committed the cardinal sin of:

Installing Some More Software.