You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old December 16th, 2008, 10:01 AM   #1
monkeyhead
United States

PLC features wish list

Seems like a good season for coming up with wish lists. Post features and goodies that you wish your favorite PLC had.

Mine:

1. The ability to sync with NTP (network time protocol) servers. Seems like I'm forever fighting with clock drift and daylight savings time...

2. I wish that all Ethernet interfaces on PLCs would support plain old raw TCP for interfacing with standard networked applications. At some point most PLC's with an ethernet interface rely on TCP encapsulation, they should be able to transfer data this way, similar to the way data can be passed on a serial port.

3. Enough memory to store comments and descriptors in the PLC.
Old December 16th, 2008, 10:27 AM   #2
kolyur
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

Quote:
3. Enough memory to store comments and descriptors in the PLC.
This would be my absolute #1 wish. In today's world of 16GB flash drives, I can't believe new PLCs are still being introduced without this capability. Even the Logix PLCs, with their supposedly wonderful tag-based variables, don't store rung comments in memory.
Old December 16th, 2008, 10:57 AM   #3
rdrast
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolyur View Post
This would be my absolute #1 wish. In today's world of 16GB flash drives, I can't believe new PLCs are still being introduced without this capability. Even the Logix PLCs, with their supposedly wonderful tag-based variables, don't store rung comments in memory.
That, and I wish every PLC out there had a USB port -- wait... Not for programming, that should be Ethernet, but for having a simple place to plug in a standard thumbdrive, and upload/download a program without any need for software.

Look First, Ask Second!

Old December 16th, 2008, 12:26 PM   #4
cornbread
United States

Lets have a PLC with ample ride thru time to cover any and all power blips!
Old December 16th, 2008, 01:17 PM   #5
rdrast
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornbread View Post
Lets have a PLC with ample ride thru time to cover any and all power blips!
I'd consider that part of your pre-conditioning, and wouldn't want it in the PLC, unless it's completely optional.

Look First, Ask Second!

Old December 16th, 2008, 01:18 PM   #6
TConnolly
United States

I'll second that USB port. USB has been around for twelve years now -
and legacy ports have been disappearing from laptops ever since - its about [expletive] time the PLC makers got on board.

That's the beauty of processors, they don't have emotions they just run code - The PLC Kid.
Old December 16th, 2008, 02:42 PM   #7
Stephen Luft
United States

And how hard is it to purchase a $10 cable?

http://www.emtcompany.com/products/a...FQSwFQodBl9ulw

Redesign costs money.

The cost of this cable, is far less expensive then attempting to redesign an existing product.

New product development is a different story.
Old December 16th, 2008, 03:22 PM   #8
MasterBlaster
United States

I'd like to see the day of the week represented as a number. While the processor may know the date and time, the A-B's (with which I'm familiar) do not know if it is Monday, Tuesday, etc. And yes, I do have logic running to solve this problem, it just seems it would be sooooo simple for the processor to produce this useful bit of info.

Bill
Old December 16th, 2008, 03:25 PM   #9
Mickey
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
I'd like to see the day of the week represented as a number. While the processor may know the date and time, the A-B's (with which I'm familiar) do not know if it is Monday, Tuesday, etc. And yes, I do have logic running to solve this problem, it just seems it would be sooooo simple for the processor to produce this useful bit of info.

Bill
Which day is the first day of your week?

If you want happiness for an hour-take a nap. If you want happiness for a day-go fishing. If you want happiness for a month-getmarried. If you want happiness for a year-inherit a fortune. If you want happiness for a lifetime-help someone else.
----- Chinese Proverb
Old December 16th, 2008, 03:30 PM   #10
kolyur
United States

Quote:
And how hard is it to purchase a $10 cable?
A USB to serial converter (whether it's in a cable or built in to the PLC) is not the same as native USB support. Those things are nothing but a kludge. I agree with your point about new product development--I certainly wouldn't expect Allen-Bradley to introduce a new SLC processor with a USB port--but frankly I don't see it happening much with new products either. ControlLogix was introduced in 1998 and what do we get? Still serial ports. All these new programmable relays and nano controllers that are proliferating the market? Still serial ports or serial disguised as USB.
Old December 16th, 2008, 03:32 PM   #11
MasterBlaster
United States

Depends on what you call first. Sunday = 0, Monday = 1, etc. In retrospect, woulda been cleaner if Monday were zero, 'cuz then it would be simple to determine a weekday (DAY <5). But I did this many years ago and have too many processors running the logic to make it worthwhile changing now.

Bill
Old December 16th, 2008, 06:52 PM   #12
monkeyhead
United States

Heh... when the PLC manufacturers start offering USB, they'll provide either a terminal strip connector or some bizarre proprietary connector just so they can charge 3x more for the cable.
Old December 16th, 2008, 08:32 PM   #13
kolyur
United States

Quote:
... Not for programming, that should be Ethernet
Absolutely, and the IP parameters should be accessible and modifiable from a small LCD on the front of the unit.
Old December 17th, 2008, 07:49 AM   #14
tacm
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolyur View Post
I agree, in addition how about upgradeable memory. I also belive all PLCs should support on-line editing.
"The sole end for which mankind are warranted, individually or collectively, in interfering with the liberty of action of any of their number, is self-protection. That the only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any member of a civilized community, against his will, is to prevent harm to others. His own good, either physical or moral, is not a sufficient warrant." John Stuart Mill
Old December 17th, 2008, 08:10 AM   #15
JesperMP
Denmark

This could realistically happen soon if the PLC makers decided to do it:
Ethernet + OPC UA everywhere. = everything can speak with everything.
However, it wont happen. The big guys will pursue market dominance through proprietary standards.

In the distant future ... I wish that there is a common object-oriented programming package that integrates al and everything seamlessly into each other. Logic code + data + alarms + hmi object + multilanguage user texts + multilanguage comments etc. A program change in an parent object shall make all derived objects update automatically throughout the project.
Would be nice if this was an open standard too. So that you could freely choose the PLC hardware vendor.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum