You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old December 16th, 2008, 04:05 PM   #1
MajorFault
United States

Bar Coding Printing

Looking for hardware suggestions for an application.

I need to a print bar code and 30 and 40 characters of product data on an adhesive label. Data will come from ControlLogix L63 processor. I can transfer data over tcp/ip or ControlNet. Labels will be printed and applied to pieces of OSB travelling on a conveyor at 350fpm. I have used label printers from IDTechnologies in the past but am not happy with their perfromance or support.
Has anyone out there had good luck with a different label printer in a similiar application?
Thanks!
Old December 16th, 2008, 05:35 PM   #2
allscott
Canada

How big are the labels, how many would you be printing in say a day?
Old December 16th, 2008, 05:50 PM   #3
MajorFault
United States

Labels should be in the 2" x 3" ballpark. This application would entail 3 seperate label printers each doing 18,000 to 20,000 in a 24 hour period.
Old December 16th, 2008, 05:51 PM   #4
monkeyhead
United States

Sato and Zebra both make industrial barcode printers. I've only ever used Zebra, but I've always heard very positive reviews of Sato.

I've used ID Technologies, Willet (defunct), and Universal applicator machines with Zebra print engines.

I've honestly only really had decent reliability from the ID Tech applicators. I agree the support sucks though, and their marketing and sales is a total scam. A west coast rep was willing to sell us an applicator for $2K less than an east coast rep. selling the same model...
Old December 16th, 2008, 05:58 PM   #5
allscott
Canada

I've used both Sato and Zebra. There both good but I think I like the Zebras better.

I've never had to print anywhere near that many labels a day so I can't recommend a model but this is their bad boy.

http://www.zebra.com/id/zebra/na/en/...Xiiiiplus.html

Not sure if it would be up to the task or not.
Old December 16th, 2008, 06:18 PM   #6
monkeyhead
United States

For a 2x3" label at 12 inches per second, plus application time, I'd be willing to guesstimate the speed at up to 30-40 labels per minute. (if you can present your target for application that fast).

30*60*24 = 43,200
40*60*24 = 57,600

Even with mandatory downtime for label changes and print head maintenance you should easily be able to hit your target of 10-12K in a 24 hour period.
Old December 16th, 2008, 06:35 PM   #7
monkeyhead
United States

http://www.google.com/search?q=Print+and+Apply

This google search seems to have a ton of hits for other companies providing label applicators.

The one thing about your application that is going to be tricky is the speed at which the target is zipping by. I've never really seen any of these applicators used in applications where the target was passing by any faster than 120 fpm. I would be interested to see how these held up at 350fpm.
Old December 17th, 2008, 07:54 AM   #8
tacm
United States

Sato print engines are very reliable, also take a look at what markem has to offer.
"The sole end for which mankind are warranted, individually or collectively, in interfering with the liberty of action of any of their number, is self-protection. That the only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any member of a civilized community, against his will, is to prevent harm to others. His own good, either physical or moral, is not a sufficient warrant." John Stuart Mill
Old December 17th, 2008, 01:23 PM   #9
TWS
United States

I am not sure you can print a 2X3 label at 70 inches per second.
I might require several printers per line. Look at inkjet or laser.
Old December 17th, 2008, 02:46 PM   #10
MajorFault
United States

Can you only buy the print engines from Zebra? I need a tamp or tamp/blow applicator also. Not sure if I will have to go through an integrator to get everything I need.
Old December 17th, 2008, 03:11 PM   #11
TWS
United States

Weber, Markem, Label-Aire are three companies that make print and apply equipmnet
Old December 17th, 2008, 03:15 PM   #12
TWS
United States

Also Diagraph
Old December 17th, 2008, 05:11 PM   #13
JERA
Denmark

Thumbs up Intermec

Intermec PX4i or Intermec PX6i

Have used them on projects
Old December 17th, 2008, 06:36 PM   #14
monkeyhead
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorFault View Post
Can you only buy the print engines from Zebra? I need a tamp or tamp/blow applicator also. Not sure if I will have to go through an integrator to get everything I need.
Most outfits that sell applicators sell their units with the print engine, and they usually give you a choice of whose printer you want to use.

The two main print engines that I hear about being used are Zebra and Sato, but I believe Avery and Datamax also make print engines.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum